Badboy Lightening For A Demo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, May 3, 2007.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Chris Smith is sending me his personal Badboy Lightening 60" 32 hp Vanguard with full suspension next week so I can put it to the test.

He is in Arkansas and reps Badboy for the area I am in.

He tells me it will cut at 15 mph and I will be able to dump the sticks with no drag down ( this I will have to see ). He says the ride will be as good or better than my Super Z and the cut quality as good as any mower on the market. This, I promise to find out.

Chris said Badboy doubled in size last year and Hustler along with Badboy had the only increase in sales of zero turn mowers, the rest of the big names dropped in sales.

These are very impressive looking mowers, the one I looked at is a homeowner model at Tractor Supply but it looked like a commercial built mower, stronger built than any homeowner model I have ever seen.

Well after looking at the Badboy doing wheeles on "You Tube" I would say he is right about no rpm drop when slaming the sticks forward. Mickhippy posted the link.

2. Z-Man

Z-Man LawnSite Member

Puppy Paws, be sure to give us a complete update and comparison to your Super Z.....

3. slclawn

slclawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

I demoed one and did not like it but i would like to see what you have to say about it. :usflag:

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I was supposed to demo one myself back in March.
    But I really didn't have the time to fool around with it and the weather was so wierd I couldn't have found out just how good the cut really is.

Like I've said before... the dang things are BUILT.

Also, like I said before, if nothing changes, I WILL demo one if possible before buying another ZTR. Not that I'm not totally pleased with what I am running... but because I think they at least deserve a chance at impressing me.

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Built with mild steel. It will still droop and loose strength over time, it doesn't matter how thick the mild steel is. They are cheap in price for a reason.

6. puppypaws

You demoed the Lightening with which engine and what are the things you did not like.

7. slclawn

slclawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

The one i used had a Kohler motor i think it was a 28hp not sure 60 inch deck. Well it was fast i liked that but it did not preform well. For one thing i had to go and re mow three customers lawns because they called and said that they did not like the way there lawns looked. They were not even home when i did there lawns but i explained to them when i went back that i used a new mower and they said please don't use that one on there lawn again the cut quality was not there. I ran it side by side with my 757 witch has a smaller motor a 25 kaw. Same ground speed same cut hight and i had to double cut with the bad boy to get a comparable cut that i was getting with one pass with the Deere. They both had high lift blades on or at least they said it did. It also seemed not to like side hills the Deere stuck to the same hill the bad boy would slide side ways on it has a high center of gravity. To put it plain there demo cost me money and i told them that when i took it back not to call until they had a good machine for me to try. Just my 2cents take it or leave it. I would still like to find out what other fell about this machine they do use a plasma cutter well at bad boy cool designs.:waving: :waving:

8. puppypaws

I am cutting southern grass in big open areas so I am concerned with speed and comfort. I also cut a few very steep banks that the Super Z will hang on very well unless it is wet, then it will slide some. I will put the Badboy parallel on those slopes, they are not long because they are road banks so if it slides it will only go a short distance to the bottom.

The cutting is totally different in the northern plush grasses versus the thinner fescue in the south. I have a lot of Dandelions, Onions, Dallas grass and off breed weeds that can be tough for any mower but I cut low 2 3/4" and run fast as it will run everywhere it can. The Hustler with fusion blades does a wonderful job in these conditions but the difference is the lower height I cut. If I attempted to cut at 3 1/2" like you would on a plush lawn the speed I run it probably would leave 25% uncut. This is why there is different strokes for different folks.

9. slclawn

slclawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

That right we use what works for us and its deffernt for each person let me know if you like the bad boy. They do look nice.:cool2:

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I don't know either way, and it's pretty much impossible to know.
    Sure ain't something anyone is going to advertise or admit.

But it is in fact something I have been BURNT with purchasing another brand of mower.

So it is something valid to take into consideration when purchasing a mower.
    But there is no way to know until somebody finds out and tells about it.

The only way this will ever become something we can find out right away is that some of the companies that build from really high quality steel and know the others do not... well they need to "self-police" the market. They can do that by publishing information about the steel they use by adding it to the mower SPECIFICATION SHEET.