BadBoy Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastcutter, Feb 17, 2008.

1. fastcutter

fastcutter LawnSite Member
    from west tn

Who running them? I was looking for some input on the Diesel mower.

Thanks for looking......

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Bad Boy and other companies using this particular wheel had issues. They corrected it with a reinforced wheel and haven't had issues since.

4. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

That would be me Fastcutter. I had problems with the rear rim falling off my machine due to the actual steel (of the rim) flexing under the weight of the diesel. I believe they've corrected that problem now and it's not an issue to be concerned with anymore. From what I hear, it's not the only brand that's had that issue.

5. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a Bad Boy Lightning Z 60" with a 26hp Kawasaki too. It's got 124 hours on it and has been a good machine. I had to replace the switch on the control panel that raises the deck up and lowers it down, but I take my rig to the local car wash twice a week in the mowing season, so that could've been my fault. Maybe I got the wand a little close or something, I don't know.

6. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

would any of you who are running the badboy mowers care to take some pictures of the cut? I'm looking for a good 60 inch or so side discharge mower for this year and am torn between badboy or exmark. I'm basically trying to compare cut and stripe. Thanks

7. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

well my exmark stripes like total crap! i will take pictures when we take the machine back out...

8. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Bad Boy has a stripping kit you can buy as an option. It seems pretty well made and should give good results on most lawns.
    I'm afraid you may have to wait for cut pictures. The lawns are still sleeping and it will take a while before it get nice and green again.
    I have yet to read a complain about quality of cut since Bad Boy put the fully baffled deck on their mowers. As far as I know, they will cut as nice or better than any other mower available on the market as long as you compare apple to apple: same size of deck, same blades, same height of cut and same cutting speed!
    Bad Boy mowers can cut faster than most but of course, the quality of cut will degrade a little at full speed. My Lightning can cut at 14 mph and I use that speed for some of my mowing. When I need a manicured cut, I slow down some but I'm still faster than most because of the full suspension I have.

9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

You're not suppose to pressure wash a machine like that, the pressure from the wand will penetrate the seals for the spindles and other grease points allowing water to get in to the joints ... once this happens, rust will develop internally and significantly deteriorate the perfrmance of the machine !!

10. Penscape Landscaping

Penscape Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Raven i had the same problem only when i ran gators though took them of and built a stripe roller like the one they sell. I built it out of pvc and it looks and works great.