Baffle modifications?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dashunde, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a fairly new Gravely 48" hydro w/b... it cuts ok, but it sure could be better, and faster.
    It stripes pretty well and I'm running the stock "notch" type blades.
    My front baffle is down about even with the blades cut line.

So I was looking underneath an Exmark 48 today and I noticed that the front baffle's bottom edge is about an inch higher than the blades - it does not push the grass out of the way before the blade contacts it.

I'm wondering how far down the baffles come down on other machines?

I'm thinking about cutting the lower 1/2" or so off of my baffle in an effort to keep the grass from being bent over prior to blade contact.
  2. Dashunde

Comon... none of you have looked under your decks?
    I just need to know if the lower edge of most baffles is higher than the cutting plane.
  3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

these machines go thru a lot of r&d i am sure it is set where it needs to be.
  4. Dashunde

You might be right... but... I spoke with my dealer the other day and he mentioned that they have trimmed off the bottom edge on a few of them.
    They trimmed it off of ztr's, but they have the same deck as mine.
    It's how I got the idea in the first place.
    They said it gave good results, so I wanted to hear other folks thoughts on it.

Additionally, I'm not so sure Gravely does a ton of R&D in this respect, the front baffle is very straight and simple, and the Exmark I looked at has several bottom-edge changes and "levels"... it looks "tuned", whereas the Gravely is just kinda there, hanging below the cut line.
  5. Dashunde

Edited for double-post... go figure
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Switch away from the notched foil blades and put on some solid foils.

That should help a lot.

Before you go trimming the baffle, unbolt it and take it out.
    See how it cuts without the black baffle in place.
    If there is an improvement, then you may want to consider trimming after ordering a spare baffle set.

Just to be honest with you though... I've never seen where shorter baffling improved the cut to any degree... in fact about all I see it do is create more blowout.
  7. treemeat

treemeat LawnSite Member

. . . I'd check rpms first, on my gravely 1548h I had to speed up the motor, it was only running about 3000 rpms. If its slow speed up to 3600 with the blades engaged.

I'm considering trying a different blade than the stock notched foil due to insufficient lift. Good luck
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Gravely did, in fact, do a good bit of testing with the 48" deck. They even went so far as to send it out for a good bit of field testing to real LCOs all over the country. I know this to be fact since I did some of that field testing.

That being said, there is no one deck that will suit everybody in every place. If your local dealer has seen good results from cutting the baffle down then give it a try. I did extensive mods to my old Gravely 50" deck and you see the fruits of my labor every time you look at the baffles on your 48.
  9. Dashunde

After several hours of mowing a cemetary... I have a question for you Richard.

Are YOU responsible for that damn almost-90deg corner on the left front edge of my deck??? Humm... well are you!! :hammerhead: :laugh:
    That darn corner will bring me to a solid stop upon even the slightest contact with a stone, step, fence post, rock wall - it glances off of nothing. It will even snag the chain-link. (Had to vent that after 5 or 6 times of getting folded over the controls :laugh:
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Gotta love the decks with corners.

I HATE the ones with curves and bevels on the sides.
    They part tall grass like a comb, pushing it around the deck instead of allowing it under. Also defeats the purpose of being able to trim close to things.