bag/mulch/discharge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mp067, Feb 26, 2008.

1. mp067

mp067 LawnSite Member

well every year i run into the same dilemma. should I bag, mulch, or discharge my clippings? I hardly ever see anyone here in the Northeast bag, however I feel discharging the clippings looks like crap. Does anyone mulch with a 60 inch rider? Or mulch with a 36 inch w/b?. Those are the two pieces of equipment that I use on my residential customers. Thanks for the imput.

2. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

Ill never bag, your taking nutrients out of the ground. If the grass is tall and thick just double cut. I side discharge, mulch in the summer.

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I always side discharge. we only bag if its absolutely necessary. if its wet out we just double cut.

4. grassgirl4

grassgirl4 LawnSite Member

If you double-cut, do you charge more/tack on more to the bill than if you single-cut? This has been one of my dilemmas since I started in 2005. We all know that spring growth is out-of-control but that summers level off, so how do you account for the extra time required in the spring to keep the lawn from looking like doo-doo??

Would an average price be the answer? (figuring a double-cut price for a certain number of weeks in the spring and averaging it with the normal single-cut price during the rest of the season to come up with a consistent weekly set price?)

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I mulch everything unless too tall then I double cut discharge.

6. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

Good questions.......someone please answer.

7. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

I really must be missing the boat on this. We bag at least 3 out of the 4 weeks we cut regardless of the length. I found that it really does not take as long as double cutting, and it takes less gas. Most of my clients have 5 to 6 fertilizing applications and the lawn is by no means starving for nutrition. IMO not bagging is like going out to dinner and having to pay extra for utensils.