Bag, Mulch, or Discharge Clippings?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Supper Grassy, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you all do
    Bag, Mulch or Discharge, what are the advantages and disadvantages

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

This is an age-old topic, discussed over and over. Do a search and you will find enough threads to keep you reading for a couple of weeks.

P.S. You won't find a consistent answer. There are far too many variables, attitudes, and strategies.

3. DPAT

DPAT LawnSite Member

mulch all but one and bag it

4. hess

hess LawnSite Member

all we do is bag

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Yep.

Same here (and that is speaking for 95% of the guys in my town, too).

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Mulch unless bag is requested.

7. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I can't bag with my 36" toro cause I got a mulch kit on it but it mulches like a king. I tried to get away from bagging this year but with the rain we had.. where ever we use 21"s we bag and leave it.

Even though I got sucked into the philosphies here about only mulching it's just not practical at times. I hate to go over and over a lawn and then blow everything and still it can look like crap.

I lost more then a few of my customers by insisting on mulching and not bagging this spring. In the end I think they were right, it looks better and it's less frustrating. I always leave the bag or half bag of grass there though.

Now that the grass is drying up a bit (we had a lot of rain this year) I will liking go back to all mulching since it's very easy to do with dry grass that is barely growing.

8. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

All I do is side discharge...never had a problem...why bag it takes so much longer. Just don't cut to much off or you will be double cutting...which is STILL quicker than bagging.

9. hess

hess LawnSite Member

Yes it dose take longer but the guy's in my area don't do it and the customers want it that way and it put's me on the top of the list for the lawn service.

10. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

I only bag a couple of lawns, the rest get side-discharged. Most of my customers aren't picky, as long as the lawn looks good and clippings are better for most of the grasses I cut.