Bag, mulch or side discharge.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scraps, Aug 28, 2007.

1. scraps

scraps LawnSite Member

Most of my customers I mulch. Many of the companies around where I am bag. Im just wondering should a company mulch or bag? Mulching is better for the lawn especially if you have a customer who does nothing to their lawn. Do you think its unreasonable to charge an extra $3 to bag? And of course I discharge the large acreage jobs. Just getting some of your thoughts and ideas on this. Thanks.

2. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

On the rare occasion that I do bag, I charge an extra $5, for a normal size house.

3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I never bag, always mulch. Large lots 1 acre+, side discharge. If the customer is really set on bagging, sometimes I will leave the mulch plug in and the bag on the mower so they think its being bagged. Never know the difference.

4. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a great business practice, you will go far trying to dupe over your customers.

5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I dont think $3 or $5 is enough extra for bagging. I bet if you checked the time to mulch vs the time to bag....it would be almost double. If thats the case, you should charge much more....IMO

6. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

With my hustler, I have enclosed two of the blades and then leave the discharge blade open. If a customer wants a bag job, then I will put on the bag but I am still mulching 2/3 of the grass.

7. scraps

scraps LawnSite Member

BeautifulBlooms what? Im not trying to dupe anyone I was just asking if others charge a little extra as I do. Bagging takes extra time and space on the truck and trailer. Peace out.......

8. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I was referring back to ALL Toro 4 Me

All_Toro_4ME
    LawnSite Member Join Date: Jun 2007

I never bag, always mulch. Large lots 1 acre+, side discharge. If the customer is really set on bagging, sometimes I will leave the mulch plug in and the bag on the mower so they think its being bagged. Never know the difference.

9. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I've only bagged maybe 3 yards out of thousands mowed. Never anymore. If customer insists it at least $20 extra.

10. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

mulch it and be gone.