Bag or not to bag

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by MLC404, May 7, 2011.

1. MLC404

MLC404 LawnSite Member

Just wanted to know if you bag your grass or mulch or whatever and where you are from. I see a lot of guys outside of MA not bag, why? We bag everything but a condo complex that sits on a golf course because they said they didn't want it bagged.

2. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

if its wet grass it would probably be best to bag, if its dry let it fly.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Screw bagging!

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Do grass clippings going back to the turf, help, hinder or is there no difference???

"Screw bagging", doesn't address the horticultural value of the question, and mowing wet grass isn't good for the general health of the turf either.

Does the OP address what is simplest for the operator or the health of the turf?

5. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I never bagged at all previous years.... but this season I picked up a few clients who fertilize their lawns regularly and have it treated well, which makes it grows fast and THICK so I have to bag. All the rest I mulch up as best I can. I think if the lawn is low maintenance and struggles, then leaving the clippings will really help return some N to the soil when they break down and help sustain the lawn in dry spells.

6. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

We bag everything. It is pretty much industry standard around us. Most of the guys who don't bag are the weekend warriors and hacks.

7. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Here is the way I see it. It is certainly better to get the nutrients back into the lawn. Nitrogen especially but in order to make it beneficial to my customers we would have to cut them 3 times a week in the spring and early summer. They are almost all fertilized and irrigated and grow really well. If you go there and the grass is 6-8 inches tall and thick and you are cutting it to 3-3.5 inches, you have to bag. It would make an absolute mess if you tried to mulch it. You would have clumps all over the lawn which would actually be detrimental to the lawn. Therefore unless a customer would like to pay to have there lawn mowed every couple days my belief is that bagging is the way to go. People who have thin lawns that dont grow well you can probably let it fly but we bag everyone.

8. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

Grass clippings should be left on the lawn (clippings, not clumps) provide lots of nutrients and may even reduce fertilization requirements

9. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i only bag if i absolutely have to. otherwise i see no point in taking much longer to empty the bag a million times and then unload the truck when its full of grass.

10. grassman88

grassman88 LawnSite Member
    from mass

i dont bag unless i have to i use to bag just because it made me look better untill the home owners of my nicest lawns told me that bagging there lawn is going to slow me down they said take off the bagger and get more lawns hahaha i realy like those custemers and they are my favrite to cut i will bag them every now and then if theres heavy growth but mostly just side discharge and if theres alot of clippng just got over it