Bag Worms

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Travis E, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Travis E

Travis E LawnSite Bronze Member

Its that season again. On several spruce trees around where I mow. What is there to use to kill them off before they really start showing up. BTW, they just started showing up this week.

2. GREEN-UP

GREEN-UP LawnSite Member
    from sw ohio

I use Bifen from lesco. I had bagworms bad, sprayed with heavy mix, went away. They did come back, but not as bad(barely).

3. Travis E

i see your from ohio, you just get them? No lesco near by so that don't help.

4. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

bifenthrin, ie TalstarOne, Upstar, Wisdom, etc...

5. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry to go so off topic, but jdmcat, that avatar.... I went to a catholic grade school, and this was where the bad "Habits" tortured and terrorized little kids... but

There was this one kid... I sear to you, I SWEAR, he WAS Alfred E Nueman, right sown to the ears and freckles. First time I ever saw him, I was like "Holy chit! Are YOU the REAL Alfred E Nueman?"

I was promptly brought down to the torture chamber, and was whipped on my hands with an aluminum yardstick... and NOT with the flat side, but with the EDGE!

Al almost got me killed....

6. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

sorry to bring up bad memories... here this will help you forget

:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

7. Travis E

Anyone spray to prevent? I just read elsewhere that Sevin will work when sprayed in the spring.

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

There is no prevention spray. We wait until they hatch out and are at least 1/2 inch long. Then we spray thoroughly with Crosscheck (Talstar)...100% kill. I sprayed more of them today, but some had already dropped their eggs (too late to spray, so we're putting them on the 2009 schedule).

9. Travis E

Well i picked the few that had started, then sprayed with sevin. Will keep an eye on them. My neighbor has loresband, (no clue how its spelled) but if they get really bad i'll end up spraying with that.

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Lorsban is great stuff. Very effective and it has good residual. If you pinch the bag, and there's nothing in there, plan on spraying in early summer 2009. Sevin is more short-lived than Lorsban or Talstar.