Bagged Compost

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Aug 3, 2013.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone know on here who supplies a reliable, weed seed free bagged compost? I am trying to weigh my options of bagged vs. bulk but if I cannot find bagged, then I guess bulk it is.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Last season or the season before,,, our local farm market had 3 bags of various types of compost in 1.5cu. ft. bags, open for inspection on display...
    The one bag with decent leaf compost was almost $5 and though the others were cheaper I don't believe they were worth the money either... I had a 14 yd load of good leaf compost from the local construction company and if I could resale for $4/bag I'd be rich... so cost effectiveness is not there...
    The manure compost I used to get in bags years ago, as it was about $1 a piece, but that is mostly sand, although useful asa topdressing when aerating clay...

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Why use compost, when you could apply Milorganite or a similar digested sludge product. It will go through a spreader which means you save a lot of trouble applying it. Highly organic--weed free.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

My use of compost is to cover seed, digest thatch and build soil structure, besides feeding the turf... Milorganite really only serves as a quick meal to the grass, not much different from the synferts made from corn cobs... :)

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

I am going to bump this. Never really got a good answer. Any bagged topdressable compost out there, with company able to ship?

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, there certainly is.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

What do you have in stock Barry? I know I corresponded with you about vermicompost, but I now am leaning more toward traditional compost as a Topdress rather than just thinly sprinkling worm castings over the turf.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Drop by your local sewage plant--they have to do something with the residue. Probably going to farms for use on cow pastures, corn or wheat ground. Maybe you could get them to put a bucket or two into your truck.

http://www.sludgenews.org/about/sludgenews.aspx?id=5

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Interesting thought....though I doubt they bag their 'stuff'.

10. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

EKO has a bagged lawn top dressing mix.
    Posted via Mobile Device