Bagged grass on bare spots.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by dtelawncare, Aug 2, 2006.

1. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

What kind of luck has anyone had by letting a lawn seed out, bag it, and then spread it over fresh topsoil. I gave a friend of mine about a full 30 gal bag of clippings from a nice St Augustine lawn I maintain. He had some topsoil brought in and I thought this would help.

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a cleanup to me. All he will end up with is more dead grass.:hammerhead:

3. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

St. Augustine does not seed out. Sounds like he would be getting a full lawn of weeds.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, no lawn seeds out like that. Even when we see the grass going to seed in late spring - that seed doesn't germinate. When seed is harvested for actual grass seed, it comes from much taller grass, then is dried and cured in a controlled environment to prep for germination.
    Further, this grass you have MAY not have any seed on it at all. Grass will not grow from grass clippings.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Most grass seed, for turf and forage applications, is harvested in a particular part of the country. The climatic conditions are allow the seed heads mature properly, and the seed itself to form in a way that it will germinate. It is harvested at very exacting times, then taken to warehouses for cleaning and packaging. Only seed lots that have thresholds of germination will be sold for seed. Look closely at the tags on the bags, tags that are required include germination, weed content, etc.

I am unaware of any drying and curing -- all this happens in the field prior to harvesting.

If you wish more info, I can get you web sites that speak about the topic.

Back to your question -- seed plants can produce seed heads in many parts of the country. However, the climatic conditions will not allow the seed to mature so that it will germinate. In other word, just because there are seed heads does not mean the seed will mature for germination.

6. dtelawncare

Thanks guys. The lawn I spoke of was not cut for 4 weeks. It did have seed heads, not weeds. Very very little weeds in this lawn. My nicest I take care of $$$$$. I did not know that about it properly maturing to germinate. That would be great if you sent me the website for that info. Not knowing is why I posted the question.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Here are a few sites that will be of help to understand the process. I've restricted the sites to ryegrass, but the fescue production and handling is similar.

http://www.ipmcenters.org/cropprofiles/docs/ORryegrass.html

http://www.meadowoodindustries.com/seed_harvest.htm

This site has an overview of the seed production industy:

http://forages.oregonstate.edu/orga.../production-environment/index.html#production

This site is a bit self-serving (promotion of the industry), but several of the sections explain how the seed is
    grown, how tested being readied for shipment, etc. Cycle down through the sections to get a better
    understanding of how the industry works.

http://forages.oregonstate.edu/organizations/seed/osc/brochures/default.html

There are many more sites, but this will give you some understanding of growing grass for a seed crop.

I hope this helps.

8. dtelawncare

Thanks again Roger.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Just another thing....So I'm not misunderstood. I stated that this seed doesn't germinate. What I mean, is that it doesn't germinate right away - at that time. It can and will germinate in time, but only after it goes through its natural curing. This is known as "justation" or during its "justation period". The seed is cured by climatic controls including temperature. Here is an example of how "modified justation" works.
    Take for instance a tulip bulb. It is planted in the fall, and blooms in the spring. If it is planted in the early spring, it will not bloom. However, if instead of plantng that same bulb, we took it and refrigerated it and plantd it in January, we would still get a bloom from it in the spring. This is how they sel tulips that bloom during weird parts of the season or year. It is sort of "artificial environmentaling". It goes through its justation period at different times due to controlled environment and climatic conditions.
    One good (bad) example of this is when grass is blown into beds. you canand will end up with so much grass growing in them that it is uncontrollable. It just grows the following season or so.
    I hope this helps clarify this subject.:)