1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

baggers in general

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mike lane lawn care, Jul 27, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

after read the thread on baggers for ZTR i thought i would ask a few questions. i have had in the past twin bagger units and they do a good job on leaves, but they fill up so fast. i was thinking about a cyclone rake unit, after coupon offer, it costs about $825 for the unit plus shipping(but i will drive there and pick it up instead of the $150 delivery) the twin bagger unit with turbo is $800, in your opinion what is better? i'm looking for manuverability, as well as capacity, and i don't want to spend too much more.

Also, can bagged grass be given to a horse as a snack? once i figure out what bagger to go with, i will be going down to my uncle's in CT to aerate his 3 acre lawn, they have a horse who loves grass, but i was wondering if i could safely give him some of the fresh bagged grass. his lawn has very few weeds in it and he lets it grow pretty tall before mowing, so there will be a lot of grass.
  2. jsbmaine

jsbmaine LawnSite Member

I don't know much about baggers, but you can give the clippings to the horse as long as they are fresh. After a few hours they shouldn't be eaten. I wouldn't give the horse all that much either- just a couple pounds.
  3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks, The horse is currently kept at a barn but this week they are bringing it home after they have finaly finishd building the fence, run-in shed, and overhauling the barn. We often go to their house for weekends to use their pool, but we always spend time working, last time i went around in the JD 2210 diging post holes for the fence. SO you would recomend just a small pail of clippings then?
  4. jsbmaine

jsbmaine LawnSite Member

yeah, something like a 5 gallon pail full.

I used to feed greenchop (basically grass clippings) to my cows sometimes. It's like a special treat for them, very sweet. At the same time though, it isn't healthy to eat a whole tub of ice cream, same deal for them
  5. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

Just be sure the lawn hasn't been sprayed with anything not labeled for pastures or forages. Any herbicides, insecticides, or funguscides...
  6. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a customer with goats, last time i went there the bahia grass was obscenely high, needless to say, the goats think i'm their friend now :laugh: :laugh: