1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ken's Lawn Service, May 15, 2003.

1. Ken's Lawn Service

Ken's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

What are your thoughts on bagging? Do you wait until a certain time of year to use them or just put it on when requested or needed?

Take care and have a great summer!!
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I Just Put a Ultravac On One Of My Lazers ( I Do Own A TT ) And i Find That Dumping the Three Bags Gives Me flexibility That i Would Not have with DUMP ON GROUND.

I Can Dump On ground Or Just throw In the truck, Plus Bagger With the Bags Put in the Back of the truck Makes The Hard Shell Higher to get A Walk Under.

Good Luck John.
  3. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

We used to bag some lawns. Never again! The best thing we did was to eliminate it 100%.
  4. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the three bagger on my Scag Tiger Cub. I like it cuz I can deposit where I would like to. With clam shell you can either dump on ground or dump in two or one big barrel and dump in it if needed. Seems more work that way. You need to see what works for you for your jobs. I wish I had clam shell for fall clean ups and three bagger for grass. For fall clean ups it must work great for dumping in pile and sucking the with leaf vac.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we try to stay away from bagging totally, but some lawns (mostly commerical) need bagging mostly because of safety in regards to flying objects striking a vechile or client of that certain business.
  6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I would love to get one of the tripple baggers. I agree the clam shell would be nice for fall, but the tripple would allow more flexibility.

I would like to know if these units clog up with thick wet grass, or leaves? I don't want to be clearing shoots all the time.

Also, how convinient is it to switch from dischargeing to bagging?

Thanks for any input.

7. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

To change from bagging to discharge takes me couple of minutes. As for clogging, I put a high lift blade on discharge side only and it doesn't clog up much, unless you go full throttle in knee high long grass. Does very well in wet grass too, with this set up. Mine also handles leaves very well. You can adjust baffle on the deck to lower setting for fall clean ups, for less blowouts. I like how the vac physically throws the grass, like a leave vac.
  8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I only bag if I really need to, try not make a practice of it. I have a clamshell type, and use it alot for fall/spring clean-ups, we hardly rake any more, just blow around the trees/houses alittle. I did use it on a weekly cut last year, about a 32,000 ft yard, easily collected all the clipping from the site, but have been looking at a triple bag set up, don't know if they could hold up to the rigorous of clean-ups any thoughts cuz sometimes theres rocks/twigs/dog toys etc buried under a foot of leaves, how strong is the impeller.
  9. Speedy

Speedy LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

We have a Kubota 2160 bagger that we use. It has a 21 hp diesel engine. The grass discharges thru the rear of the mower (direct chute), also has a hydraulic dump on shell and on deck. We use it mostly in the fall and on some commercial accounts. Works very well in wet grass. Hydrostatic drive as well. The unique thing about this mower is that 2 blades one way and the other blade turns opposite.