bagging and aeration cores

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justgeorge, Mar 21, 2005.

1. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

Will a Turf Tracer HP with an Accelator Ind grass collector suck up the cores left over from an aeration job?

I want to aerate then dethatch using a JRCO tine dethatcher, collecting those clippings. But I don't want to suck up the cores, so if that might be a problem I'll have to dethatch then aerate (which will throw off my schedule).

I can use either the standard Exmark blades or Exmark mulching blades.

Thanks,
    George

2. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I always dethatch, clean it up, then aerate (leaving the cores).
    I used to pick them up (optional for extra charge) but you just can't get them all and it is actually better for the lawn to just leave them there.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

just out of curiousity, why would it throw off your schedule?

4. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

Because I can do the aeration this week, but the yards around here aren't quite ready for the dethatch (which includes a mowing). Nice weather today though, hopefully it will stimulate some growth!

Thanks,
    George

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I thatch first, clean the thatch off, then aerate. the plugs should be left on the ground. They will break down as a top dressing for the area.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

my question though is, why do you have to wait? Why not do the dethatching first?

7. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

well if you aerate now and thatch in a few weeks, i dont think you should have a big problem with the cores, especially if you get any rain, they should start breaking down by then anyhow.

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

As long as they are dry, the JRCO tine rake will do a pretty good job of breaking up the cores.