Bagging Cost?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Shaun13, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Shaun13

Shaun13 LawnSite Member

Hey guys I'm just curious how much extra would you charge if any for a customer who wanted the yard bagged instead of just mulched. Thanks for the help.

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

the age ole question........

depends, can you leave it at there house ?

if so about 5 busks

3. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

on an avg size yard i add $10 for bagging, more for the larger ones since bagging adds like 25% - 40% more time to the job ! a Real PITA !!! Most of my accounts I Mulch them ! Only had one last year who wanted it bagged

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think bagging could well be a necessary evil in the earlier years, some Lco's carve themselves a niche out of it but you really have to boil it down to a science...

As was pointed out it is a pita, it really increases the time spent there and you can't get but 5-10 bucks for it, so I do highly suggest you do your best to leave it on their property some kind of way (otherwise you also have to unload it lol).

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The same myth gets repeated over and over. If bagging is necessary, then set yourself up to do the job. The myth of much added time seems to be advanced by those who don't bag. Sure, it does add time, but that is part of the job. Trimming adds time, but it is part of the job. Edging adds time, but it is part of the job (for selected properties). The comments about taking twice as long cannot be right, but again are usually made by those not bagging.

Also, bagging is characterized by being a p... Or, it is characterized by being hard work. Yet, there are many posts that speak about the work force being lazy, don't want to work, etc. Yes, bagging does take extra effort, but it is part of the job. Is the ideal situation one where the LCO does a drive-by on the property, then bill the customer for showing up? I know, sounds ridiculous, but it sounds like some would rather do NO work, yet bill the customer.

When reading the posts about bagging being such a p... I wonder what part of the job isn't a p.... I hate to load and unload equipment -- can be dangerous and difficult, especially on sloping driveways or streets. Should I characterize unloading and loading the same way?

My comments are not directed specifically to the referenced post, but this happens to only be one of many that have the same tone, "... takes so much time," and is hard work.

Flame on ...

6. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

What's your point?

7. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I hate bagging. I try to never discuss bagging with a customer. But some customers insist, so I increase the quote by 40 or 50%.

As a result, I often don't sign up those customers because my price is quite a bit higher.

8. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

I run a box truck, really there can't be a worse setup for bagging.

For leaves i use the dump truck

for maintenance where i can't dump on site (3 accounts) i just bought a handfull of old canvas bags with drawstrings.
    i empty to them and toss them in the truck.

most of my customers are trained that in most cases mulch is good for the grass and free fert. Remember the best customer is the one you allready have.

Nate

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Whoa hold it, I said you have to boil it down to a science

I also said some Lco's carve themselves a niche out of bagging.

But you have to know what you're doing, if you can figure out how to bag for 5-10 bucks extra then by all means.

Oh yeah, neither is this. :laugh:

10. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I bag when I cant do a good job mulching. I will also bag when the grass is barely growing but crap is falling slowly from the trees. Kind of like vacuuming there yard.

I would much rather bag then double cut and blow clippings. I think it's faster and looks better. I always leave the bag on the customers property.

my 21's don't mulch very good in the heavy growing spring season. My 36 can handle it though.