Bagging grass clippings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bustus, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

Hey everyone,

I have been operating for the past four years doing mainly residential properties. Pretty much all the cutting I do is done without bags b/c I have a good mulching machine and people see the benefits of mulching.

For those who do bag, what do you do with the clippings? Do you bag and leave them with the client or take them with you and drop them off at the dump. I am having a few customers asking for me to bag, at least in the spring and am not sure how to effectively do it. I have seen companies do both, so I was just wondering what everyone else typically does.

I was also thinking of charging 10-20% for bagging, as this would compensate for the size and difficulty of the lawn rather than charging a flat rate.

2. RossP

RossP LawnSite Member

ive always thrown my clippings in the dump truck and then bring em to the dump at the end of the day
  3. packer101

packer101 LawnSite Member

when we bag theres either a location to dump on the customers property normally in the woods or if not we dump them into the dump truck and bring them to the place we dump all our stuff at.
  4. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I bag a lot. I would charge 50% more to bag and haul away. If I can bag and dump nearby, I'd charge only 25% more.

I pay a landowner nearby. He lets me dump my truck.
  5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

wow, only 15-20% more is like giving money away. have you ever timed how much longer it takes to bag a lawn. depending on size its huge. i can mow a 2nd lawn in that time so i would want 100% more to bag. i know most everyone wont pay that therefor i dont offer it. it wont make me the money and i run a full schedual without it. so, your just giving money away. mark it up much more than 20%. but if it works for you... to each his own
  6. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, 20% is too low.
  7. BZB_Helpers

BZB_Helpers LawnSite Member

On my accounts, i am actually quicker by bagging than mulching in the spring and it looks alot better too. But then i have a custom 6 bushel bagger setup.
  8. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I bag all mowing. Dump the clippings in the truck. At the end of the day, I dump the clipping at a recycling center (stump dump). The extra labor is built into the prices. All customers are very happy having the clippings removed.
  9. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I never have and never will bag a yard. Matter or fact I dont think Ive ever seen a lco here baggin a yard. I guess its just a Florida thing.. *shrugs*..
  10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Around here, bagging during spring growth is a must. During the summer, mulching can be done on most lawns pretty easily. I throw the clippings in the truck and dispose of them at the end of the day. I've been paying to dump, but have found a couple people who want clippings for compost, which is free for me, so that's what I'm doing.