1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bagging grass only

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gplank2003, Jul 27, 2006.

1. gplank2003

gplank2003 LawnSite Member

was thinking of trying to just offer bagging to all of my res. customers . and use a side discharge for comm. properties. thinking of new walker 26 efi. because of all my res. props are heavily landscaped or small lots and trying to side discharge fills beds full plus no double cutting ,less blowing to. living in east tn. mulching decks are no good just to much growth from week to week.so what option's do u guys and gals have on this.(walker,bagging)?
  2. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

not healthy for the grass to bag ALL the time, buy a ocdc and mount it up on your mower then blow the excess clippings
  3. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure if all walkers are now coming with the extra large blower so ask your dealer about it. Oha and get the 9.5 bagger. I love mine!:usflag:
  4. GoNorthSalesandServiceInc

GoNorthSalesandServiceInc LawnSite Member

If you bag your res. yards, charge by the bag - not the acre. Bagging is the way to go for small, heavily landscaped properties. As you said - less trim work and little blowing. You'll make more $$ per yard if you bag with a WALKER and your finished product will look superior!!
  5. GoNorthSalesandServiceInc

GoNorthSalesandServiceInc LawnSite Member

Only the new 31hp WALKER has the extra large blower.
  6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

does baggin reduce weeds in the lawn? i was just wondering as i have a lot of clover in my lawn and would like to get rid of it.
  7. zamboni

zamboni LawnSite Member

I'm a part time(40 per week) solo operator. I have a 42", 20 hp MT with the 9.5 bushell. I purchased it 2 years ago new for $9,200 and it was worth every penny. The cut quality is second to none, absolutely superior. The maintenance is simple as the rear and front ends tilt for easy access. Some guys complain about the mph, however if you care about doing a great job and not scuffing the turf, you won't cut at max speed anyway. Get the front tine attachment, it's great for spring and fall raking. I'm able to take tiny to large 2 acre properties with this mower. For some reason some bad mouth the Walker on this site, the high price tag keeps my competition away. Just buy it and don't listen to the negative bashing. Awesome machine! Cheers, John
  8. gplank2003

gplank2003 LawnSite Member

another couple of questions. how do they do in the morning dew or after rain? i was priced 10,900 for a 26 efi 48"ghs, 31 efi 12,500 same options. side discharge 56 for like 1,800 how does those prices sound.
  9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Try to demo one in those conditions. The 48" might not clean up wet grass as good as the 42". You will love them in damp grass or dry grass. Soaking wet you have to go slow and dump often with some plugging. But they work better than anything else bagging.
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Go with the 26EFI its a great engine unless you can spit up the extra for the 31 but thats a monster and in its new stages. I have a 26 and it has 1500+ hours on it. I love the machine for bagging. 9.5bbl bagger. The morning dew and after rain can be challenging but there are a few things to remember about Walkers bagging operation. The screen in the bagging area MUST be kept clean. They now make a bigger meshed screen for it. The deck must not be packed with debris and you have to slow down. The vacuum from the deck thru blower relies on the aor flow out the back. If the screen is clogged and you are going full throttle, you will make a large mess. Walkers will bag wet grass but you have to know how to operate the machine.
    For small residential, highly landscaped where you have to bag the Walker is "THE" machine to have. My 26 is very fuel efficient and it will spin every attatchment Walker makes for the machine. Once you learn the fine tuning of operation you will love the Walker and one last thing, if you are gonna bag and remove, CHARGE accordingly. Take care.