Bagging grass

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bohiaa, Jul 22, 2005.

1. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Most people around my area "Dallas Texas"

Bag the grass, we have those big green city issued trash cantainers in front of everyone's house....What do ya do with the grass that ya bag.....

Were not allowed to put it in the trash cans.....
  2. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 LawnSite Member

We dont bag at all, for one reason is that it takes to much time. Second is that you have to have a place to dispose of the clippings.
  3. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

and that costs money.
  4. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Put it into the bed of the truck, hit I-35, go about 80mph, its gone by the time I get :D
  5. roushjh

roushjh LawnSite Member
    from KS

I only mulch in KS

Is that an option with the grasses in TX?
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I got that one pretty much fixed too, thou I did get conned into bagging 2 this year (out of 50), so I'm ok with it but here's the spiel:

The Toro mower that I have is a Grand Recycler and I paid extra to have a specially configured mulching deck which unfortunately lacks the hardware to attach any kind of bagging system.

That's for when they don't go for the usual 'it's cheaper to mulch vs. bagging' story. And if it gets right down to the nitty gritty, sorry bro, don't do bagging, and cya L8r.

cauz the problem is bs, it takes close to twice as long (yeah once you add the time it takes to unload it) and it is highly illegal to dump it on the side of the road or even down in the brush, they catch you, it's all over. Meanwhile, the commercial dump charges a 40-dollar fee AND if I put it on my 1-acre lot, it's still an eventual problem as the pile gets bigger and bigger. So I guess when someone absolutely insists you could add 30 percent to the price where a 30-dollar lawn becomes 40, but even then it still irks me and I'd just as soon not fool with it.
  7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

If I want to mow lawns, I must bag. Everyone in my area bags, and the customers want it, you can preach to them all ya want about how mulching is better, but 95% will still want it bagged. Anyway, it goes in the bed of the truck, I layer it in tarps, every 9 lawns gets a new tarp, and then I pay $15 to dump it off, only takes about 30 seconds to get out due to the tarping strategy :)
  8. Newbie07

Newbie07 LawnSite Member

yeah i am up in kansas city right now and i love the grass. What kind is it because it looks good even in 106 degree weather and it seems to stripe very well. just curious. i am up here visiting relatives and the grass is nothing like that in Texas.
  9. roushjh

roushjh LawnSite Member
    from KS

I'm by no means any expert on grass. I just mow, but in KC it's mainly fescue varieties.
  10. OVO

OVO LawnSite Member

I'm no horticultrialist (sp?) but I've learned when dealing with older 'mature' lawns it is best to bag, especially if you're dealing with weeds or 'infected' areas. Newer lawns need the oxygen and nutrients from the mulch to grow thicker and produce better root structures