Bagging idea that I never thought of.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I met the owner of a local landscape business the other day and this guy knows what he's doing. He has three or four 16' trailers and three dump truck. He also has a chevy 1500 and is getting ready to purchase another used dump truck. He has a new holand tractor, skid steer, bed edger, two commercial Zs. He has a nice commercial lot on a main street. Also, he is only 21 years old. He does paver, irrigation, everything.

Anyways, we were talking about bagging grass. He bags the majority of his clients because thats how they want it done. Most of the people around town bag. I noticed one of the main companies in town, Flory's, uses clamshell baggers on his grasshoppers. Flory has all dump trucks and I wondered how he got the clippings in the dump bed. Spencer says he dumps it on the ground and has a system to suck it into the dump bed on his F-350s.

I never thought of this and wondered if this is how some of you guys do it. If so, is is similar to the systems used for collecting leaves into a truck bed. Wes Spencer, the guy I was talking to said he has the equipment to set up the system like Florys. If this is easy to do, it would be nice to have a clamshell bagger and do the same thing. I know alot of you say no to bagging, but its better than double cutting when the grass is growing too fast and you have many other clients to get to. Please let me know what you all think about this idea and if some of you already use a system like this. Thanks.

-Nick Howard

2. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

A homeowner I talked to a few days ago uses a lawn tractor with a twin bagger on the back of it. He made a custom hitch and pulls a garden cart behind the tractor. When the bags on the back of the tractor fill up he dumps them into the garden cart and keeps mowing. Thus he takes less trips to the spot behind the house to dump the grass and leaves. He has lots of trees.

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

you should see how we do it. no pidling with a vaccum cleaner, either.

4. Howie's Lawn Care

Do you care to explain? How does the vacuum technique I decribed above work? I'd really like to hear your technique, because I don't even know what exactly I described above. Thanks for any advice and tips you have to offer.

-Nick Howard

5. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

design the front of your trailer where you have a front drop gate that goes into your pickup and you just drive across it and dump in your pickup bed. that might work

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

do a search. the unveiling. yes the pics are dark. that was intentional. figure it out or place an order for the winter mfg season. we got two designs.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have the front drop gate and when I used to bag grass that was nice. I don't bag anymore. Brian has definately got the $hi7!! That trailer mounted side dumper is slick.

aug4 735.jpg

8. Howie's Lawn Care

I looked at your dump again and had viewed it in the past, but I still think Flory's idea is better. You still can't stack the clippings very high or hold many of them with your setup. Flory dumps them on the ground, and then suck them straight into the dump. Then when he gets to the shop, dumps them in a compost pile. It sounds better to me because you could hpold more clippings. With your setup you still just drop them and they spread out instead of up, so you have little room for clippings or have to move them around. This is how it looks to me, let me know if I am wrong, and I assume you will.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I got all of you beat, I have a method takes absolutely no time or effort.
    No fancy or extra equipment, no vacuums, no bag on the mower, ever.
    There aren't even any clippings left over to dump, it is literally effort free.
    It took me time to think of this one, this site and its members helped (yes, they really did).

See, I have ZERO bagging customers today.
    It's the best way, guaranteed.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

That is the way to go. I had No baggers in Floirda, when i worked for TGLC we had no baggers. Non of my mowers bag at GU

Just from a "green Standpoint" why bag. it is bad for the grass to bag, except in extreme situations, in which case means thet you have gone too long between cutting...

Golf courses don't bag(except on greens and that needed to keep the surface true), I don't know of many stadiums that bag....I'm all about making money were you can and not leaving money on the table, but I guess to each his own....