1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bagging is too dusty

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LCME, Sep 30, 2004.

1. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

I was mowing the other day using my side bagger. The dust was plowing through the fabric all over me. :angry: I couldn't continue because the air born particles were choking me. Do you guys have the same problem? Is there any tips on how to keep the dust from blowing all over you?. I guess maybe I'm just whining :cry:
    Thanks, LCME
  2. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Get a pack or box of the paper like surgical masks from Wal-mart or Walgreens (any drug store) and keep them in the truck. Dust is just part of the job this time of year.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Someone had once suggested to me to put some sort of material inside the bagger - just on the top side. He cut out the piece to fit, then sewed (just coiled string around the support bar and through the bagger and edges of the material.) This stopped all the dust from coming through the top (this is the stuff that goes in your face, because it is higher and being blown upwards). The bagger still breathes well out the sides and back, but it is lower to the ground and directed away from you.
  4. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

I have one account that KILLS me when I bag it. I got creative one day because the dust was ridiculous, and covered it with a big old 3 mil trash bag I had sitting in my truck. Worked pretty well, and I was able to breathe again. Wasn't pretty at all, but I did what I had to do. :D

5. dukester

dukester LawnSite Member

It hasn't rain here for almost a month. Ivan didn't even get us wet! Most of the lawns have quit qrowing because of it. Anyway, I have a ton of pine straw and leaves to pick up. It seems like most of the time its on bare ground or just a sandy area. This has helped me. I wear a mask and tight fitting sun glasses. I even wet a cloth and put it below my eyes to keep from breathing in all the dust. If the wind is blowing at all it's not that bad. Just cut back and forth working the mower accross the wind with each pass. That keeps the dust at your side not in your face. I have a walker and sometines I wish it didn't work as well as it does. Dang it can sure get stur up some dust. It's bad but it beats working for somebody else. You've got to take the good with the bad, right? Now how about some rain!
    Good luck
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Now the TRASHBAG idea sounds like a pretty good one! Simple, but effective!
  7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Put double gators on and quit bagging - your yards will look better-
  8. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

Double gators I'm guessing is two blades together 90 degrees apart?. Side discharge?. With a mulch kit or without?. Are they high lift gators? Best to order on-line or from the dealer? More info please, LCME
  9. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I was mulching yesterday, and the dust was furious! I am using 21's though, so it may not apply to everyone. But this time of year with all the dry leaves, I had a nice "tan" when I was done with this yard! :help:
  10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

In the order you asked them:

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. No mulch kit. Blow out will be terrible with doubles on and baffles enclosing the blades.
    4. Only one kind of gator blade that I'm aware of.
    5. On line if possible. I just got ripped at dealer. $18.95 PER blade!! Catalogs and online have them for $8.95 per blade.