bagging lawns principles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A+ Lawncare, Apr 27, 2005.

1. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i was wondering on a few things about bagging lawn.....how much sq. feet of lawn clippings can ya get onto 6ft bed p/u? i know its a rare question, but i'm tryin to see how many lawns i can cut & bag b4 i have to empty the bed out....

also, the pricing i'de charge for bagging, below is my pricing for mow, trim and blow, but am wondering how much i'de up my rate to bag...... do you still blow if your bagging the lawn? i'm thinking of bagging lawns the size of an acre and less..... using two 21'' toro mower....

any thoughts? :waving:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY (Including mow, trim, and blow)

1/8 acre: $20
    1/4 acre: $25
    3/8 acre: $30
    1/2 acre: $35
    5/8 acre: $40
    3/4 acre: $45
    7/8 acre: $50
    1 acre: $55
    Over 1 acre: $55 per acre + $35 for each additional acre.
    Example: 3 acre lawn would cost $125.

These are only estimated rates. Your quote may be higher or lower depending on the amount of obstacles and time involved.

COMMERCIAL PROPERTY (Including mow, trim, and blow)

1/8 acre: $30
    1/4 acre: $35
    3/8 acre: $40
    1/2 acre: $45
    5/8 acre: $50
    3/4 acre: $55
    7/8 acre: $60
    1 acre: $65
    Over 1 acre: $65 per acre + $40 for each additional acre
    Example:3 acre lawn would cost $145.

These are only estimated rates. Your quote may be higher or lower depending on the amount of obstacles and time involved.

Size Chart-

1/8 acre= 5,445 square feet
    ¼ acre= 10,890 square feet
    3/8 acre= 16,335 square feet
    ½ acre= 21,780 square feet
    5/8 acre= 27,225 square feet
    ¾ acre= 32,670 square feet
    7/8 acre= 38,115 square feet
    1 acre= 43,560 square feet

2. A+ Lawncare

i've heard it takes 38% longer to cut the lawn when bagging..... but its more of a groomed lawn image.....

i know its not good for the lawn, but if the customer wants it done then i will do it to please them...

3. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd charge %50 to double the rate to bag, to compensate for disposal of the clippings. IMO its not worth it period.

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

You could probably fit 1.5 cu yds (40.5 cubic feet) of grass in the back of a full size bed. More importantly I used to catch and haul and it is a royal PITA. A lot of time wasted catching (38% you said and I have heard similar) plus hauling to the dump, shoveling out and driving back. I think your time would be more efficiently spent either educating to the benefits of leaving the clippings (1 less fert. a year, nutrients etc). Blade set up (I run gators over normal lifts on a 36" toro) chop my stuff up pretty good. I dont bag my lawn (either do golf courses, pro sport fields etc) and you could never tell that I dont catch. In the spring with heavy wet material, worst case, I discharge into one row and pick up with my 21". If I were you I would use the time saved by not catching by getting new customers that dont mind you leaving the clippings and dump the ones that want it caught. As you pick up a new customer, dump 1 that wants it caught. I used to swear by catching (used a walker mower), and with the right set up, my yards look just as good now as they did with the Walker.

5. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Bagging is just not worth it to me............I charge at least 50% to bag.

6. A+ Lawncare

how much is 1.5 cubic yrd of clipping

7. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on time of year, wet, dry, amount of growth etc. no way to tell. You could build stakes and fit more in, but I do not think thats something you want to start unless it pays very well.

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I double the regular mowing rate and also add a dump fee. This pretty much eliminates customers that want bagging....

Derek

9. A+ Lawncare

so marko its no way to tell how many acres of clippings you can fit into a bed of an truck?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    maybe you could figure it if you knew the capacity of those bags, then multiply to get your answer.....but i'm not sure how many sq. feet of clippings you can get into an standard 21'' mower's bag?
    BTW, i'm talking about standard average conditions.....

But, i'm thinking in most cases you only have to empty your bag(21'' mower) 2-3 times on a 22k sq. feet lawn, am i rite? i know a contractor garabage bag can only handle 3-4 dumping of clippings for the 21'' mower's bag... i can fit 9bags of contractor's bags of clipping into my 6ft bed, b/c i use the other half of the truck's bed to carry the 2mowers.....

if all of the above is correct, then i'm able to carry 396,000 sq. feet of clippings= 9acres.... but if i'm using the whole bed maxed out i can carry 15acres of clippings.....

10. A+ Lawncare

i've got some customers i'm gonna bid on cutting & bagging this week.....their 10 lots (1/2 acre), i'm gonna be mowing them solo with a 21'' toro mower.... i figure i can cut 1/2 acre in 30mins so if i add my time calcualted at 38% then thats 30mins + 11.4 mins= 41.4 mins total...

$35 ( regular rate for mow, trim, and blow) for an 1/2 acre X 38%= $35+$13.3= $48.3+$1.7 (for bags)= $50 for half an acre mowed & bagged.... bid for an 1man hr=18.6 mins of down timie to cushion.........

i'm gonna try and get all 10 of these lots and figure for an 8hr day for it all.... that estimate includes 5/8 of an acre mowed in an hr.... jobs are all close together, could walk mowers to next job.... i live on a nearby farm, and my family owns 50acres so finding a spot to dump is no problem.... (no dump fees, ect...) just dump @ the end of day @ my residents....