Bagging Lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Whitetail Landscaping MA, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Whitetail Landscaping  MA

Whitetail Landscaping MA LawnSite Member

I've been reading here for a while and it seems most people dont collect/bag the grass they are mowing. I've work for 2 companies for 15 years before I started mine, and we bagged 95% of the lawns. And the same goes for my company, the customers want the grass taken away. I charge them for it, but it would be nice to mow and go. Any thoughts!

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

in the spring, you'll most likely need to catch the grass. As summer moves in and the grass grows slower and it gets hot, you can easily mulch everywhere and not even bother to catch it.

As things progress, I plan on bagging in the spring, mulch in the summer and back to bagging in the fall when the leafs start falling. I can unload a 6x12 trailer of grass or leafs for pennies at the local recycler so I think I'm going to do this as a rule of thumb. One thing I hate most is to see grass clipping all over a lawn, it just looks trashy. Some customers might not care, some will.

3. Whitetail Landscaping  MA

Whitetail Landscaping MA LawnSite Member

Even when thr grass is dry and not growing but needs acut to clean it up, the customers still want it bagged. I guess thats just the way it is up here.

4. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

We have a few that we bag, but 95% are just side discharged unless it really needs bagging. It's healthier for the lawn just to leave the clippings anyway.

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

that only is true if the clippings are of the proper size when blown out over the lawn. To long and to much will hurt more then help.

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We dont bag anything. It is all side discharge. I would rather go out of business than bag everything. I just dont see the need to bag anyway. We have never had a problem with clippings laying on top of the yard where you can see them.

Example right here. 2 lawns side by side. Deep thick northern fescue lawns. Single pass and no clippings in sight.

[​IMG]

7. paradisescaper

paradisescaper LawnSite Member

whitetail i live like 45 mins from you and i do the same thing greg h said bag it in the spring and fall . it comes out just as nice as bagged and its better for the grass (free fert.)

8. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

True about the clipping size GregH. If it needs it we bag.

9. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

what about that unsightly grass in the crack of the sidewalk!:nono:

10. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

On the other hand I bag all residential lawns. Commercial lawns get bagged in spring when the grass is faster growing. The lawns I do are mostly high end homes, lots of irrigation and plenty of fertilizer. I have never had any complaints about bagging every week.