Bagging leaves with side catcher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by waffletown20, Oct 16, 2005.

1. waffletown20

waffletown20 LawnSite Member
    from PA

How well do side catchers work for bagging leaves? Do they clog? I'm not to worried about the capacity because I don't have many leaves.

2. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

They fill up rather quickly.

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Mine (Accellerator) works great. But by the time I put it on I have very little volume to pick up........because I have shredded most of the them to dust....

Derek

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We have a stock bagging kit on our scag 48" WB with 17kawi. It worked ok for leaves...we then installed a set of high-lift blades and the 'vacuum' on it has been very good. There aren't any issues with it clogging. Yes, it will fill up kinda quickly. We use it for trim work...one of us uses the soft bagger on the Z and the other trims the property with WB.

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

They work good, but i find that blow out is always a problem. It will also fill up quickly.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I too find the blowout problem to be challenging. I am unable to use forward/reverse passes. The problem is worse when the turf is thin, not growing very well, and the leaves are sparse.

Regrettably, I've found myself parking the w/b in favor of my LawnBoy with side bagger for the sparse leaves -- it will pick clean, my w/b is terrible.

Choice of blades on the w/b will determine the extent of the blowout problem.

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I think that having a well designed catcher will eliminate alot of the blow out problem. Since my Accellerator bagger has such great airflow I have very little problem with blowout. Sorry I don't mean to brag on this product so much......but I am really happy with the time and aggravation it has saved me......

Derek