1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bagging Leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Jul 18, 2007.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

If you must bag most of your leaves, do you prefer an accelerator catcher or a vac system? Can you give me the pros and cons please? THX
  2. delphied

No takers? What about a rake and trash barrel?
  3. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I blow into piles, rake onto tarps, and drag to curb or woods.

Some guys say you can mulch them into the grass.
  4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I blow mine with the backpack blower towards the center of the yard, then run over it with the walk behind with bagger attached.
  5. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Put the meg mo blades on your mower and all you will want to pick up is the last 5 to 10 gals. of leaves so it looks like you did what the customer wanted and save time as it is faster to pick up the last little amount.
  6. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on the amount of leaves and available dump sites I will do one of two things:

Dump site on property- blow to a common point and rake on to tarp and drag to the woods or dumping site

Remove from site- I wll stretch an extra large and heavy duty tarp on the inside of the bed of my truck . I then suck up the leaves with a bagger and mulch mower and deposit the mulched leaves in the bed of my truck via a trash can and haul to a dumping site. The load is usually heavy to pull out of the truck depending on moisture content of the leaves.When permissible, I will tie mule tape to a bunched up end of the tarp, tie the other end of the mule tape to a tree or other fix structure ( I have used a dog tie down screw before) and then slowly drive forward.Once on the ground, you can tip the tarp to and fro to remove the leaves.

I think this year that I may build a removable wood box for my trailer to get more leaf storage space.

Also, I have used those heavy duty construction bags that you get form Home depot( 32 for $14.99)They come in handy if you have to remove leaves from the property but there is no dump site nearby. If you tie them just right, you can easily open them ,dump out the leaves and then reuse them for other jobs.I have some that I have re-used 5 or six times.
  7. delphied

My question for MEG MO is, doesnt all that ded leaf matter affect grass growth after that?
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have mulched heavy leaf cover for the past couple of seasons. Prior to that I hauled most leaves away from these properties. Therefore, I have a good comparison to "before" and "after" with regard to grass growth.

I have never seen any negative impact on turf growth where heavy leaf cover was mulched and left. I could even say the impact may be positive -- saw best growth in years in a couple of places where leaves were mulched in the Fall.

I do work hard to get the leaves mulched very well, and often blow off the turf after mulching. The debris blower takes away any larger pieces, and they can be mulched in an adjacent area. In the Spring, I can barely find any remnants, but I know where to look. For 99.9% of those walking over the turf in the Spring, they would not know how many leaves were mulched in the Fall on that area.

My answer to delphied, NO.

In all fairness, I do wonder the effects of soil ph levels where oak leaves are mulched. I believe oak leaves are the only leaf that could be a problem. Most of the leaves I mulch are maples of some kind.
  9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

The meg mo blades Cut the leaves up fine so as will not cause any problems on the turf down the road.
  10. Tagg

Tagg LawnSite Member

2 words only !!!
    *** Cyclone Rake ***