Bagging mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by double e, Nov 21, 2000.

1. double e

double e LawnSite Member

I'm somewhat thinking of buying a Walker or Scag- pretty much just for clean-ups. I will use for lawns also. Are they worth it. Will I be dumping loads every 2 minutes?
    Are there any other mowers that are good for bagging leaves?

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Tom, I have a 15cbft bagger for one of my Grasshoppers. It works quite well. It not only sucks up the leaves, but it also shredds them. They get packed into the bagger real tight. Also, it can be dumped from the drivers seat.

3. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i would pick up a walker,make sure it has the lever actuated blade clutch NOT an electric one.20 hp gas or 16 hp diesel. the scag is just a bad imitation of the walker.i shred all the leaves down with my z rider then vac up what's left over with the walker.works great!!

4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

You will love the Walker mowers, we have used these mowers for over seven years and they are a asset to our company. We presently own a 98 25hp 48" GHS mower and a 2001 26EFI 48" GHS mower and am planning on adding another 26EFI this spring. If you opt for the Walker spend the extra and get a 26 EFI 48" 9.5 GHS System with tail lock, light kit, cushion seat and all terrain tires and also put the speed up kit. If you want a less expensive one go with the 20hp with above options the 16hp are limited to deck size and cant get the tail lock option. We do alot of cleanups up here in Maine and the Walker has the best collection system available, no big gommi things hanging off the side and rear these are a nice compact machine that leaves the lawns looking impecable. On the 9.5 Bagger you can mow alot before it fills and has a warning buzzer telling you that its full. As a owner and operator of these machines and many other makes Walker personally fits our business the best.

5. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

what exactly is the tail lock?why would you want to lock the tail wheels? just inquiring.i have the 16 hp KUBODA diesel in mine and haven't found grass thick or high enough that would slow it down! torque not horsepower.

6. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you familiar with Walkers? They have had tail locks for years as a option. What the purpose is for is 1) you can hit lock while mowing very steep hills sideways and rear doesnt come down on you. 2) hit tail while stiping lawns and the line will be REAL-REAL straight we have it on all our Walkers along other options and it makes our Walkers hold the hills like our ZTR mower and make alot straighter lines to. Worth the $200.00 thats why I love these mowers for options like this:
    Motors:
    11hp, 16hp, 20hp, 20.9hp, 25hp, 26EFI,

decks:36" GHS,42"GHS,48"GHS,42" Mulching,36" Side Discharge,
    42" S/D,48" S/D,52" S/D with mulch kit,54" S/D,62" S/D

Options: Different bagger sizes,2 snow blowers,2 snow blower cabs,boom sprayer,impliment hitch,47" rotory broom,debri blower,coulter edger,dozer blade, bucket loader,rotary spreader,tail lock,power dump,pwer deck lift,2 aerators, 2 brommers,ati bed shaper,rotary blade grinder,buffalo turbine and 3 seat options, tire options, and more which makes these machines so versitile.

7. Greens Keeper

Greens Keeper LawnSite Member

Walkers are good indeed. I used a grasshopper for 6 years before I bought a walker. Mine is a 25hp 9.5 48" ghs model MT. The power dump is a must have you don't leave the seat. The walker takes alot less coaxing to get the material out vs. the Grasshopper. Grasshopper has a rib above the door that binds the material up and you must bounce it pretty good to shake it loose. Also the walker is so compact it WILL out do a Grasshopper any day. Don't worry about the 48" deck so long as the leaves aren't wringing wet it will take all that you can put in it plus it don't seem to "blow" them out from under the deck , just a clean vacume.