Bagging or mulch?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tsmith82, Aug 16, 2004.

1. tsmith82

tsmith82 LawnSite Member
    from toledo

Hey mowers just found this site and sounds like some great advice!! I just started my own lawn service this year and it's going pretty well. I've got a JD GS30 WB, Echo line trimmer, and Echo backpack blower. I've got a couple questions though. It seems with almost all my lawns I've been bagging the clippings and dumping them at a local recycling center($$$). My question is, should I be mulching these yards to save on time and money, and do you think the lawn looks just as manicured when you mulch? Also, with the GS30 it's so difficult to change the height setting from say 2.0" to 3.5" that I end up having to cut most my lawns the same height, which sometimes isn't the height the customer wanted. Any suggestions. Thanks

2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I mulch whenever possible, I suggest that you do a search on LawnSite, there are plenty of threads on this exact topic, BTW welcome to LawnSite:D

3. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I would also suggest mulching. Its better for the yard, and better for the enviroment. As long as you use good blades, you shouldn't have a problem with the quality of cut with either bagging or mulching. I have a gs25....older model of the gs30. Really a great mower. As far as changing the height, it really sucks on a fixed deck mower. You have a couple of options, either by a floating deck mower, they are much easier to change. Or you can charge more for the yards that need a difference cut, and do all of your yards with that same cut on the same day.