Bagging or Mulching?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Landscape89, May 23, 2005.

1. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

Hello Again,

With all the rain that we've had in May up here in New England, the lawns get long very quickly. So far on my accounts I have been bagging the clippings ( I have a Hi-Vac mower and it does a nice job!). I know some people are very particular about seeing clippings on their lawn, but Mulching seems to shred the clippings so small that they are almost invisible in addition to returning nutrients back into the soil. What do you think I should do with my accounts in your opinion, Keep Bagging or Mulch the clippings?

Thanks for the Help! :waving:
    -SH

2. Adamma Landscape Group

Adamma Landscape Group LawnSite Member

Landscape 89,
    Are you mowing weekly? Are there beds near the lawn?

3. surfisher211

surfisher211 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

when i have yards that grow high i keep working all the clippings to the center of the yard ,till i have about 3 or 4 passes left and then bag . u will be surprised that u can get 4 catcher fulls in 1 catcher :)

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Same here. If it is bad I do the above (side discharge and 2 passes w/ a 21" to collect). 3 passes along the beds w/ discharge into the middle will keep the grass out of the beds. I use doubles (gators over high lifts) and it is hard to tell the turf was not bagged when I'm done.

5. kpyoung

kpyoung LawnSite Member

We mulch every yard throughout the entire season. Early spring we may have to double-cut some lawns but it doesn't take that much longer to raise the deck a 1/4 inch and run over the lawn. This second pass can be run at a faster speed than the initial cut speed was. I may be wrong but I don't think we spend any more time on a yard double-cutting than we would if we bagged and had to deal with the clippings. In my city, all grass clippings must be bagged at the curb, no loose clippings will be picked up.

6. gil

gil LawnSite Member

I mulch everyting.

7. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Mulch all the time.

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I bag some, discharge on others. Really whatever is going to be the fastest for me. And with a new helper, it's often better to have him bag, rather than spray grass into every bed and plaster the side of the house and customer's cars with clippings. The bagger is a sort of "training wheel" for newbies.

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Everything gets discharged. No bagging here.

Gravely_Man

10. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Prefer to mulch but sometimes bag. Only in fall though.