bagging problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jh88, Aug 10, 2003.

1. jh88

jh88 LawnSite Member

Ok...When i ask everyone for an opinion on this i know I'm gonna get people who are gonna dawg me about my equipment. But i will post anyway to see if yall can help me out.

Ok.. I have just started with some small yards with a pushmower that is about 2 years old. I have been reading on lawnsite and have read how the best way to start out is little overhead so today i went to sears and bought a brand new craftsman. I know its coming how i need better equipment and it won't hold up but i'm only 15 and trying to get started. And once again the questions will come about being insured and stuff. But as i was saying i bought a new craftsman so i would have little overhead starting out. I also bought a bagger and i tried the mower on my yard this afternoon. The mower cuts great and i love it but the stupid 300 dollar bagger kept getting clogged. So finally i said screw it and took it off. I just wanted some input on why it may be doing this. The only thing i can see would be that the mower came with mulching blades, and it was late in the evening and the grass was just a little wet. First i cut some tall stuff and it clogged but then i cut hardly anything off a spot and it clogged again. So i don't know any opinions on why or if i should use a different set of blades or what.

2. jh88

jh88 LawnSite Member

Come on someone must be able to help me.
    Or just give me an opinion atleast.
  3. I'd have to see your setup. Is the deck clogged with wet mulch, or is it relatively clean under there? If you just bought it, and it's not performing under lite-cutting conditions, it may be a defective product. Depends on the mower, but bagging wet grass is the pits.

btw, don't mention that other stuff about you being new, young, etc. most people wouldn't have known, and it only distracts from your question. anyone that has a problem with you personally should be treated like a pile of dawg excrement. don’t try to wrestle with them, it will only make you stinky. just step over it.
  4. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

First clean under the deck the wet debris that may have caked under the mower. Then raise the mower to a highth to where its only cutting 1/3 of the grass blade. Next, maybe cut the grass when its not so wet. If that dose not work take it to the place of purchase and ask them WHATS UP!!!!:angry:
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

If you really do not like to part with your wonderful mower try a set of high lift blades. they bag much better than mulch. As mentioned before just about any mower you have will clog if it is cutting to much material at one time. sometimes it is faster to cut high then cut at a lower setting. good luck and keep motivated.