Bagging systems on Exmark and Toro!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Dancer, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

The dealer that I have decided to buy my equipment from told me the other night that he is selling Exmark now! He says they are identical with the exception that the baggind system on the Exmark will clog easier due to the fan being mounted horizontal instead of vertical like the Toro ! Does anyone know if the bagging system on the Exmark has anymore problems clogging than any other systems such as Toro ?
  2. zmowing

zmowing LawnSite Member
    from York,PA

If your talking about the bagger that runs off the belt from the deck it works great. I have one a 28 hp Plus one on 27 hp kaw. They work so good you can even bag in the rain. Very easy to put on and off. We started off with a PECO 5hp briggs this system hard to take off, high over your head you"ll hit low tree branches. The motor hangs off to the right side out past the rear wheel.:waving:
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Your dealer just started selling them and he already knows everything. Isn't that nice. Now for the truth, he's full of crap. I have very very seldom ever clogged my eXmark ultravac. The upright type are known to clog more, but they don't hang out as wide. That is the only downside to the eXmark is it hangs out farther. No real big deal to me. My ultravac has been through 4 leaf seasons and I've only replaced 1 belt. Nothing else.
  4. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

The JD dealer across town was selling them and now JD told them they could not sell Walker or Exmark anymore. He took on Exmark because he says they asked him to take it on is they would still have a dealer in the area. I think he would rather sell Toro or Scag. Although he says the Toros are better than Scag by a long shot. He says that even Exmark told him there is little difference between Toro and Exmark. He did say that a couple guys who had Exmarks have told him that the blower housing gets a lot of build up and clogs to easy. I asked because I would rather hear it from people who actually own these setups than a dealer who just started selling them!
    Thanks hoss !
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've had lots of dealers in the past tell me "other LCO's said"...problem is they just don't really know. They live inside a shop and work on machines, not work with machines. I've learned to take very little stock in dealer advice. Toro bought eXmark. eXmark builds the tractor part of the toro ZTR.

Odin00 has owned the old Toro mowers, the new eXmarks, and now he also has the new Toro with the new deck. I consider him a good friend and his opinion I trust. He said the new Toro deck cuts a little better than his exmark HP deck. Now, remember the full size lazers have the better deck in the eXmarks. How it compares to the Ultra Cut deck I don't know.

I've had piles of leaves waist high on many occasions and have done a wheelie with the Ultra vac to get on top of the pile. I didn't clog it then. I would suggest you try to get the dealer to let you demo each unit on your properties and see which you like. Get the one you feel comfortable with. You can't go wrong then.
  6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

If your still not convinced you don’t have to go with exmarks ultra vac on the lazer I didn’t even have to think twice on that when I bought a new lazer last season I opted for a trac vac for the bagger. I did this for several reasons. I did demo a 27 hp lazer with and ultra vac and found it lacking in many areas.

#1 width the ultra vac adds nearly 18-20 inches to the deck making it difficult if not impossible to get in on most trailers unless you were 7 feet wide and converting to non bagger mode was conciderbly harder you had to take the belt off and lift the fan off the deck and its not that light with a shoot with a pin you can just bungy it on top of the deck and its there when you need it no going back to the truck.

#2 the power comes off the blades belts so when you are going though the tallest wettest grass and your blades want to bog down a bit that’s when you need the suction the most that’s when you have the least because your blades are spinning slower.

#3 clogs all vacs clog but if you get your power off the blades you cant use the vac to help un-clog it self since you can not have the blades on when your not on the machine on the trac vac or blue bird you can work on the clog and the vac will pull it though when you loosen it.

#4 I cant get use to the cloth baggers when it comes time to empty I like my 30 or 44 gal pale that I can easily hand to some one on the truck to dump it.

#5 width again but on the lawns your find its easier to get a mower in places if its only 6 inches wider and not 18.

That is my thoughts on it I found the 6 hp kohler vac engine to be more then enough to make my life easier starts like a dream a year later and still works like new.
  7. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

As for them being the same no way. My dealer sells both. My lazer has a better deck than the Toros. Everything else looks the same or similar but the decks are different.
    From what I have seen I dont see why the Toro bagger would not fit on the Exmark. It looked as though it bolted up the same. The only diff was the placement of the motor.