bagging vs. mulching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wyboo, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Wyboo

Wyboo LawnSite Member

I know it has probably been talked about to death but which is better mulching or bagging. I have about 100 lawns all about a 1/4 acre in size that I will be taking over starting May 15th. I have the option to mulch or th bag but these lots are all patio homes so whatever I do to one I have to do to all. Thanks for any advice.

Wyboo

2. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

If you have the option, always mulch.

Unless you can earn way, way more bagging.

3. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

If I'm doing a yard near a pool and its in a fenced in back yard, I bag the grass. I actually never mulch at all. The grass the grows in Newport RI is un mulch able. Its thick and lush and it grows a foot a week in May and June. If I mulched it you would see the mulch debris sitting on top of the thick lush grass.

4. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

You have to do what you have to do.

If it's a small, nice lawn, you should probably bag. Work the cost into your proposal from the start.

If it's a small, crappy lawn, you can probably mulch.

Some lawns I catch the front and let it fly in back.

The bigger jobs you can probably mulch.

These are general guidelines, of course.

5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Side discharge! Anything else is a waste of time.

6. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Ive always bagged with my honda its a pain sometimes but it always looks nicer if you get the honda HRX 217 there is a big lever so you can easily switch from mulch to bag there is also like 5 places in between so you could half bag half mulch this way it won't look too bad and you wont have an overload of grass

7. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

i'd say 99% of us here in boston bag.... i've tried to tell customers how good mulching is for their lawns but hey look at me like i'm pullin a fast one.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on the lawn. If you CAN mulch, that's the best. No wasting time dumping the bags, no driving to the dump, no disposal fees, better for the lawn, you do the math. I have a couple right now I have to bag, no way around it. But, there are a few that I will be able to mulch, so I'm about 50-50 right now.

9. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

i've done the math and you're right but most people are ignorant about what's good for their lawns.....

10. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We side discharge and bag depending on the type of grass we are mowing and the size of the lawn.