1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bagging with a Scag 48" hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kevinsky, Mar 24, 2005.

1. kevinsky

kevinsky LawnSite Member
    from Nevada

I mow and catch the grass on my accounts weekly and fertilize regularly, I'm interested in buying a 48" Scag walk behind, but my dealer says I won't be happy with the way it bags. Should I be concerned?
  2. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

I have a scag hydro. I purchased a bagger thru j thomas. I like it. You can get the grass and put it in the back of your truck or dump it some where. The bagger was like $175. You can take the bagger off and side discharge no problem.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I use my SCAG SWZU, 17HP Kawi, 48" hydro, w/ jungle jim to bag. We installed the stock bagger from SCAG...I think ~3-4 cu.ft. It bags grass pretty well, you will need to, obviously, slow down and empty the bag more often in springtime. Leaves, however, are another issue...its not that it doesn't work...its that the bag fills VERY quickly.

Also, with the stock blades their would tend to be a small trail of grass when the bag was getting near full. However, last year we changed over to high lift blades...packs the darn thing so tight sometimes it can be a hassle getting the grass out...but no more clipping trails.

We are contemplating buying a rack 'em grass catcher with the extension kit...but we can't justify the 300-400 bucks in cost for a piece of aluminum screening. Looks like a nice unit though. A trick I was taught by another LCO that worked for my in-laws was...if you place a carryall barrel between the front caster wheels you can push it around the property...even if its full of grass...I've never had a problem with it scalping a lawn, falling over, etc. Although, I am careful with it and go at a reasonable speed. I dunno, dumping a few more times into a carryall versus `300-400 bucks on a bagger...it was kinda a no-brainer for us.

Any specific questions you may have PM me.

LB :waving:
  4. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

same mower, no problems..
  5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

If it discharges fine, it should bag fine. Maybe its the design of the Scag catcher. If you buy this mower, you should consider an Accelerator aluminum grass catcher. Excellent airflow design. Easy on, easy off. No brackets.
  6. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

We have a 36" WB and use the Scag fabric catcher and it works great. Leaves, It fills very fast. Not to change the thread but we also have a 48" Exmark WB hydro and use the factory fabric catcher. It works the same as the Scag. We just changed the fabric bag on the Exmark and it was 4 yrs. old. With the Scag a plate is mounted by the discharge chute and stays there whether you bag or not. I've never used any aftermarket baggers. You won't be dissappointed with the Scag bagger. Matt