Bagging with Paper Bags - HELP!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking into getting into doing some residentail small mowing and am wondering about plastic bag/leaves...

Where I live in NJ, if you bag and leave any clippings for town
    pickup, they have to be in paper bags. Plastic is not acceptable. What's the best way to get rid of large quantities of leaves? I have a JD RX75 riding tractor, high lift blades and bagging kit. I dump the baggings into the woods where I live, but for jobs, what to do with oak trees leaves, etc?

Does anyone have a supply place for paper bags that they use?
    Thanks.

email doogiegh@optonline.net

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Why can't you use plastic? What was the reason for not being above to have clippings in plastic bags?

Do they open the plastic bags to make sure there are no clippings in them?

3. XOFMOT

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

Alan, I have the same situation up here as well. The local towns WILL pick-up bags of leaves, brush, clippings and so on...ONLY in PAPER BAGS. This saves the town time when they go to dispose of the bagged product by not having to empty the bags due to the papers being bio-degradeable (sp?).

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Same thing applys here. It has to be in the paper bags, no plasitc allowed.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Our land fills will not acept standard plastic bags either how ever they accept bio degradable plastic. Bio degradable leaf bags are sold at supermarkets and discount stores in our area. Horticultural recyclers will not accept any trash only organic matter. Don't get caught dumping anything but organic matter at the recyclers if you ever want to dump there again. Check and see if your town will acept bio degradable plastic bags. They have printing on them. " Bio Degradable"

Ric
    I can't spelllll but 2+2=5

6. fireball

fireball LawnSite Member
    from ne Pa

The towns that require you to use paper bags around here also make sure you buy them from the township. Prices are between .12 to 1.80 apiece. Any janitorial supply house will sell you paper bags. We also have a supply house called Uni-source that sells them.

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

You must use paper so they can be shredded and composted without opening them. Plastic will not compost.

The towns here that require paper bags provide them to the residents. Maybe have the residents get you the bags? Grocery stores here sell the big (40 gallon?) paper leaf bags 3 for $1.

Would it be easier to load the truck/trailer and dump at the recycling facility?

8. XOFMOT

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

Luckily, bagging is not a issue to me. Thanks to ERIC and introducing us members to the DOUBLE BLADE way of thinking...bagging on my end is almost non-existent.

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Doogiegh, not sure where you are in NJ., but I know there are a few municipal facilities over there that you can pay to dump that stuff at. I saw an ad about it in one of the industry magazines.

If not close to one of these, check for landscape supply companies that might take this stuff. That's what I use. There's one right around the corner from me. They take grass clippings, leaves, hedge clippings, small branches and turn it into mulch or compost and resell it.
    You have to pay to dump, but just bill that to your customers.

10. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

So none of the dumps take plastic bags. So you all have to stick your garbage in paper bags too?

When the trash man pick ups the bag at your house how does he know if it bio-degradable or not?