Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by YardKeeper08, May 2, 2008.

1. YardKeeper08

YardKeeper08 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Do you guys bag clippings every time or how often if at all? Also if you dont and someone wants you to bag the clippings how do you charge for that?
  2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

If I do bag, its for the first mowing of the season to clean up the debris from the fall/winter. (leaves, etc) I generally charge more because I advertise it as spring cleanup with mowing. I don't do a lot of them because leaves are very dusty and dirty when you mow them. But if the cust insists, I do them. Bagging each and every yard is more time consuming, and its much harder to hit the dollar a minute everyone shoots for on this site.
  3. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I started out bagging. But constant bagging takes away from the natural fertilizer that mulched grass provides for the lawn.

Two, it is time consuming like he said. Figure out what your minute is worth. If you are working for $1/min and you spend 5 min bagging, charge that. But thats only part of the cost.

- Think about the cost of the bags
    - Do your customers want trash bags on their curb? If not, you gotta dump it.
    - Where are you going to dump it
    - How much does it cost to dump it
    - When you're doing 10+ lawns a day, do you have room for 20+ bags on your truck/trailer?

I would tell the customers the cons of bagging (extra cost/lawn health) and tell them the pros of mulching.
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Its a pain to bag - if you really don't want to do it then don't offer it to customers even if they ask. Advise you mulch and that your clippings will be reduced to dust (with the right mower). Keep on top of your mowing schedule and during periods of high growth, mow every 5 days or so when mulching to keep from bunching. This will then give you a couple extra cuts and hence more income.

If you do decide to bag....charge plenty and get a good piece of equipment. BGLC has some good questions to consider. But, mulching is the way to go if you want a nice appearance without visible clippings.
  5. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh yeah definately. I forgot to even mention because I assumed he knew. Definately mulch your customers yards. They wont even notice the difference most of the time.
  6. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I bag 80% of the time I will tell you it is much easier then it has been promoted. When you are trying to side discharge spring fert and squirt guys lawns it sucks. You have to cut it and then double cut it waste of time.

I was a big throw and go when i started and the springs were terrible so I bought a bagger for my toro my times went thru the roof. It used to take me almost 2 hours to cut this one, with a bagger I have it down to 1hour 10 min. Try to dump on site if you can. Find a farmer or someone who wants the grass. I dump at my buddies house 2 minutes away.
  7. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I used to bag all the time, now I do I little side discharging with my quick 36( as long as there is no clumps of grass left behind), mulch with the hondas in the summer, and bag any other time.
  8. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

F bagging!! It takes longer, and then you need to find a place for your clippings, most places around here won't take it cause of the chemicals, then you have to drive there, unload, drive back...Time and gas...2 expencive items. If I must bag, it's extra.
  9. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

We bag 90% of everthing we cut. Imo it gives a finished look and is more prof. If I go out to eat dinner I want it served to me and have utensils to eat it with.
  10. ipdking711

ipdking711 LawnSite Member

What do you guys mean by mulching? I get bagging it, but describe "mulching the lawn" to me please?

Sorry for the partial thread jack.