Bagless mowing???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Doc Pete, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I've got a few sections to mow that I can't discharge. I know this is simple, but I'm thinking about using my ZTR with spindle blower and running with bags, but cut out the bottom of them. This way I will leave the clippings directly behind me without worrying about an open chute and throwing the grass or debris into the parking lot and or into buildings.
    I know I can run a "closed chute", but then the grass will clump and look crummy. Also, I don't want to bag because I'll then have to get rid of the grass.
    Anyone try this yet?? Other ideas????
    Pete

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I think the bottomless bag will work. Hell of an idea.

4. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

If the grass is not TOO long, I just run with no bags in the bag frame.
    Just flip the hood down and the grass gets blown down where the bag further from the tube would be.

Adam

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I need to remmember this!

6. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I have tried to run my Ultravac without the bags and I did not like the results. The grass clumped a little when it hit the end of the bag cover and then layed on the ground in little clumps. I will be looking into the masterchute next year for a few of my properties.

7. Doc Pete

That's one reason why I was going to try letting the grass hit the bags and disperse first.

8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Seriously, mulching is not an option? I LOVE my mulch kit, makes SO much less of a mess than discharging.

9. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Ought to be on the maintenace forum not landscaping.

Switchless give it try and report back.

Personally, I would guess you will still have some clumps. But ya never know till you try it! Also consider when you make turns and the bag 'swings' out over walks and other the grass will still be dropping at those times too.

10. Doc Pete

Tell me more, I'm open to suggestions. How much grass can I mulch? Do I leave lines?? Is there stuff thrown around under the mower???