Bagworms..... Larve stage?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PJDiesel, Jun 21, 2006.

1. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

I think I may have sprayed too early.

I did my second application of BT on Saturday. Today, while cutting my grass I noticed some puss-like sacs on the lower branches of my Leyland Cypress. When I look reaaaaaaal close at them and move around the clear liquid a bit, they appear to be tiny caterpillars.
    What's the deal? Is this what a bagworm looks like before they start to get active and feed?
    Anyone know how long BT will last on a tree? What about rain after an application?

Any help would be great. :)

2. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Anyone? Little help?:rolleyes:

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

To kill bagworms, you must wait to spray 'em until they've hatched. This means "new green bags" about i/2 inch or bigger in order for one spray to kill them all.

I use "Crosscheck" from LESCO. One spray gives 100% kill. Good luck.

4. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Wrong!

You can knock them out int the "Spittle sage". Looks like someone spit all over the tree.

5. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Using...........?

I am going to hit them with Sevin this week, think it'll work?

6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Sevin will work but I use Talstar!

7. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Sevin, Orthene, Talstar, Tempo all will work well in the current early stages of developement. I think Orthene has the quickest "knockdown" but Tempo has a longer residual. Just don't wait until they mature and damage is severe or they will simply close up the cocoon and wait until the spray dissipates and begin to feed again.

8. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Orthene

Is this something I can get (homeowner)? Are there any brand names it is sold by?

9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i rotate othene, hexagon, astro, malathion. this takes care of badworms, mites, and general pest. all is avaible for the homeowner, not sure about the hexagon (you wouldn't want to buy it for home anyway $$$$) i have used talstar, but it seems its more of a general use, its labled for mites, but i find it only so-so on control on the plus side of talstar it doesn't leave a chemical smell like asto, malathion, and orthene.