1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bahai grass, I love it!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Jun 20, 2007.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I know there have been a lot of folks on here who posted they hated it or refused to mow it. We have been in a drought for over 3 months until recently. I had yards go from grave yard dead to knee high and green in a week that had bahai. It may be aggravating to cut but sure is a blessing when you have been idle for months. My yards with centipede and St. Aug. have just started spot growing and some are not going to come back at all without spending some big $$$$ of them. Right now wished all my yards had it:laugh: so bring on the poor mans grass! Bahai, it does the wallet good!
  2. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

The stuff is crazy.

I have a builder with 25-30 houses, non-irrigated bahia. When those things kick off, the schedule tightens up a good bit.
  3. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I do an apartment complex that has it everywhere.It makes me pull my hair out!
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

"It makes me pull my hair out"
    :laugh: I know it ain't the grass of choice but it makes my clients pull their wallets out so I'll mow it anyday and like it!
  5. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

I hate it... I dont even want to cut it anymore.
  6. QualityLawnCare4u

Capelawncare, I used to not like it but after this long drought I had a change of heart about it. Rode by a commercial account I did Monday and its already knee high and needs cutting again payup
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Bahia will cut on the first pass. Just keep decently sharp blades on, lots of RPM and slow down.
  8. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

Heck if it wasn't for bahai and trash grass there wouldn't be krap to cut here. I'm like you week in and week out just a little rain and i got work. Heck any mower can cut those nice St agustines and centipedes. A true test of a deck is hitting 8 inch bahai at full stick looking back and seeing nothing but______________________________________ HOOYAH!!!!! PS, Sharp blades do help a little.
  9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I am set-up to mulch. It is a pain to cut Bahia, especially with a mulching set-up. Luckily not too many of my accounts have it, but I have it in my own backyard!
  10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

me too-my entire 1 acre yard is bahaia!