1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bahai Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kilman's, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Kilman's

Kilman's LawnSite Member

Yards where you have Bahai, what in opinion is the best blades for cutting this grass, them tall strands you sometimes have to hit 2 or 3 times, just trying to save time..............................
  2. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

We have alot of bahia down here in Florida. The best blades I have found are the lower lift blades, kept very sharp and mow a little slower. They are lighter weight so they wear out alot faster, but they seem to work better for me.
  3. Kilman's

Kilman's LawnSite Member

so i guess high lift blades would be a problem
  4. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

I use the "gator blade" and they do pretty well.
  5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

gator here too
  6. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

What brand/size mower are you using?
  7. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

some made out of Titanium might last and cut with out leaving shooters :laugh: seriously I have had the best luck out of gator blades Good luck guess it is still raining in Tyler ? been raining here in D'field all day
  8. Kilman's

Kilman's LawnSite Member

44" toro floating deck walk behing and a 52" hustler ztr
  9. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

1. Try low lifts on the Hustler and gators on the Toro.
    2. Reduce your speed
    3. Keep whatever blades you use sharp. I mean sharp. I you are cutting mostly bahia, you may need to sharpen every day. This grass is brutal on blades.
    4. Increase mowing frequency. Growing season every 4-5 days. If you are cutting seed heads over 8" high you need to cut more frequently.

Under ideal situation Bahia can grow over 1 inch per day. Most mowers will not give you a clean/one pass cut if you are cutting every 10 days or more.

Good luck
  10. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

Flat or low lift blades, keep em sharp! and slow down. Try not to mow when its wet. Yea I know but it helps when you can.:weightlifter: