Bahia and me HELP!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jds720, Mar 10, 2008.

1. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

Heres the deal:

I live in Florida. I have sand for soil. Hence the use of Bahia! I scraped my topsoil of all the horrible weeds and nasty crap that was there, and now Im getting ready to put down sod.

My question:

Should I pre-treat the soil with anything? Fertilizer? its bare soil now.

I want this lawn to be amazing, or atleast GREEN and Lush!

2. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

If you have irrigation, I would scrap the bahia all together and go with St Augustine.

3. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

sod farms usually fertilize the heck out of their product. ask your supplier. they should be able to tell you if you need to condition your soil further, or at least tell you when your first fert. application should take place. don't assume your soil is junk........get it test first. good luck.

4. jds720

NO st aug for me! to much of a headache and its just not my kinda grass! Bahia is nice when taken care of. my soil shoud be good im just wasnt sure if i should put somthing down to help it along. I was told MILORGANITE was a good idea to put down I think its 6-0-12 Around there i believe

5. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

milogronite is good but if you want to use a starter fert and can't find 1 look for a plant fert like an 8-10-10 this would be a great starter.

6. jds720

Well i also got a bahia fert, i cant remeber the specs.
    So should i put it down first or after its laid??

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

JDS720

I do some accounts in the Venice Area.

Here are the facts of life.

Just east of you, Bahia grows great and that is where the Sod Farms are located. The reason it grows great inland is because of the soil. However Venice is right on the Gulf and has Calcareous Sandy soil with an average pH of 9.5. Basically you have Calcium lime for soil made from sea shells. BTW is Venice beach not popular for shelling

If you want to grow nice Bahia in your area, you must import at least 6 inches of top soil with a high SOM (soil organic matter). You want at least a 6.0 pH to grow nice Bahia.

The top soil will cost more than the sod, so economically you are up side down and that is why St Augustine is the preferred turf in your area.

8. jds720

Gotcha. Im going to do my back yard in bahia and front in St Aug. I thougth 2k sq ft would do my entire yard but its only going to cover the back. So my wife/boss wants to do ST Aug up front. LOL:hammerhead: So now i gotta find a descent Irragation guy. Ug the joys of "Home Ownership"

9. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

you will be alot happier with st augustine then bahia...once you get the sprinklers in to me st aug is alot easier to take care of and looks alot better ...bahia is cow grass

10. jds720

Ric
    I was wondering if you know any good sprinkler guys in venice?