bahia blades for exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by northernsvc's, May 20, 2006.

1. northernsvc's

northernsvc's LawnSite Member

went to my local guy ( not exmark dealer ) to pick up some extra blades for my exmarks, turns out the only one he could get that would fit my arbor, and size is a bahia blade? anyone heard of it? i onle heard mention of it before, i beleive it's for thick greass called bahia? im in chicago we got fescues just wondering if it would work well? maybe better since it's design for heavy cutting?

2. The Ripper

The Ripper LawnSite Member

Bahia is mainly grown in the south east, but it is not thick. It is almost like a kentucky blue grass. The thick grass is called St. Augustine.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Why would a dealer in illinois have bahia blades in stock :confused: I have heard of bahia baffles but not blades.

4. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Bahia grass is a thin wispy grass that constantly puts up seed shoots during the summer. It is a royal pain to cut as it likes to just lay over and you usually have to go over it at least twice or more.

I don't cut the stuff anymore, however, that blade sounds promising up there. Almost all lawns here have St. Augustine grass and you cut it at 3.5 inches. St Augustine grass is SUPER thick, forget striping it.

Bahia is cut a bit shorter usually, but still is a pain. If you have a grass that fits that description, give those blades a whirl.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i wont cut bahia any more either! its not worth the $ at any price. its almost impossiable to mulch it too. wouldnt you know my back yard is 1/2 acre of the stuff . lucky for me my neighbor cuts it if i keep his rider working for him. not only do i -but i pay for the parts too!

6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

bahia is a weed not grass. Used as grass for its drought and disease tolerance

7. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

I've used the so called "bahia blades". They appear similar to the standard mulching blade. As far as the cut, its ok and works well on my mower but I cut a good bit of bahia. In the South, bahia is used on a lot of industrial and low maintenance sites.

8. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Exactly, and that is just what I think of it...as a weed.

No thankee.