Bahia grass and drought

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mr.glenn, Aug 3, 2007.

1. mr.glenn

mr.glenn LawnSite Member

Due to the drought we have had here in N.C. the only grass growing is #@^(*% bahia and my JD 737 and my Hustler Super Z, both running hilift baldes are having to make 2 and 3 passes to cut. Anyone have any advise on a better type a blade that may help such as the meg=pro system?

2. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

If that grass is dry, might as well write off a clean cut.

3. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont say the meg-mo word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

4. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Check this thread

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=195344

The type of blade is not as important as how sharp they are. I cut bahia by the acres and, as long as my blades are really sharp, I don't have to make any extra passes.

Your other option is to slow down.

S4010007.jpg

S4010004.jpg

5. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, I looked at the photos that you posted, however the Bahia you are cutting looks way smaller, and the stalks don't look near as thick or tall as opposed to what we have. It almost looks like a different kind of Bahia. Is there different kinds? Maybe I need to take a few pics of some stuff that grows here to get a better understanding. Maybe some other guys from NC and surrounding can chime in.

I don't think a mower can get all the Bahia in one pass, because the stuff grows to the left, right, vertical, and horizontal. My mower does great on everything that is sticking up, but those stalks that are growing almost horizontally to the ground is impossible. Most of the time you have to go backwards to lift the thing up to cut it.

Another key factor is the height of cutting. You cut probably 2.5 inches and below, however we in most of NC cut 3.25 up.

6. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Go slower! A lot of times the cut stalks from the seed head will be thrown out and stand up leaving an uncut appearance, sometimes going slower gives the blades more time to work on them and chop finer. Just my opinion.

7. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Matt -

I am seeing the same thing here... sharp blades and slowing down are the only solution I have found. Blades need to be sharpened more often... cutting bahia is like cutting wire.

8. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Also, drop the deck a bit lower. I cut Bahia at 3 1/4", use fresh/sharpened blades (high-lift) and adjust your speed if you are leaving stalks. You will not be able to mow Bahia at the same speed as say St. Augustine grass. However, with sharp blades, good time can be made though.

Did I say sharp blades, high-lift, lower deck and slower speed? That will get you through the stuff as good as its gonna get.

9. scchamblee

scchamblee LawnSite Member

ALLY it is expensive and hard to adjust your sprayer but it is selective for bahaia grass.

I hate that *%$# too!!!! it never looks good when you get through.

10. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Shoot, I cut bahia at 2 inches.