bahia grass cutters, which blade to use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by contourbs, Jul 9, 2005.

1. contourbs

contourbs LawnSite Member

i cut alot of bahia grass, not by choice. which blade will give the best cut without having to double or triple cut the yard, also what height are you cutting it at?

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

On my 737 I use medium lift blades set on 2.75 to 3.00. I have cut it as high as 4 when its gotten real tall with good results.It leaves almost no stalks standing. Now with the muching kit and gators it does not cut it good at all. I did 3 yards full of it today.

3. contourbs

i cut about 10 out of 15 lawns a day with bahia with gator blades and dont like the results. i mow them at about 3.5 inches. it seems the higher i cut it the worse it looks.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

Gators work great with my mulcher, they do not work great on Bahia grass or any tall grass. In the winter time doing straw and leaf cleanup the gators are great but not for my area in the summer time.

5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I cut a lot of seashore paspalum, which is, essentially, bahia with a bit thinner leaf blade.

if I were you, this is what I would do, set you mower to a 1/8th" negative deck pitch, this will recut the grass, and take down the seed heads (we hope). if you have a low hp engine, for your deck size, I would use medium lift solid foil blades. if you have enough hp, I would try running exmark wavy mulchers.

I think exmark did a test with this too, and like a negative 18th" deck pitch, along with low lift blades.

on edit, try cutting the lawn a 3"-3.25" I think that a lower height would make the grass stand up more instead of leaning over when you cut it, just a thought.

chris.

6. contourbs

i have a exmark 23 kawi, 52 inch

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Bahia grass is really tough to cut. The first thing to do is make sure the mower is set up according to specs with special attention given to the blade rake. Try using oem blades as a base line and if the results aren't satisfactory talk to your dealer and possibly the manufacturer's customer service department. The number for eXmark is 402-223-6300 and ask for Tim or Fred.

Oldtimer
    Just starting to feel Hurricane Dennis

8. gatormowing

gatormowing LawnSite Member

Contourbs, I'm in your area and cut bahia almost exclusively. I started using gators and hated the results. I switched to high lifts and got much better results. The most important thing is sharp blades. Sharp blades every day with a spare set of sharp blades in the truck.

9. 026TB4U

026TB4U LawnSite Member

With it raining straight for two weeks, I had to mow Bahia that was 12-18" high with my Ferris 1500Z 21HP/48". I had just put a new set of blades on and it did a fairly good job of it. I am using the oem blades. I did double and triple cut only to chop up some of the grass a little finer. The grass was also wet which didn't help things. I have a mulch kit but it wasn't installed yet.

How tall was the bahia you are cutting? I have mowed the same lawn when it was about 6-8 inches. I did it in one pass and with dull blades. I agree that your deck (pitch/rake) is not properly not adjusted.

Anyone know if I'll need to switch to other blades with a mulch kit?

10. QualityLawnCare4u

I installed the mulch kit about a month ago on my 737 with the gators. It does great on everything EXCEPT Bahai grass. If you install the kit and mow alot of bahai get ready to triple your time on each yard. I do 4 yards that is 16-18 inches high and with the mulch kit went from 45 minutes to over 2 hours. That thing is fixing to come off until leaf season. The bahai in my yard right now was mowed 10 days ago and is almost waste high and its raining just as hard as it can possibly come down. Im looking to see if there is a rainbow anywhere!