Bahia problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Leonard, Jul 6, 2001.

1. Leonard

Leonard LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Can anyone tell me how to go about this? I've got a 40sq ft. area of St Augustine grass that is becoming overgrown with Bahia. :angry: To get rid of it, should I remove the entire affected area and plug or re-sod it with St Aug, or can I simply overseed it?

I also know that the soil is very compacted in this area because of high traffic. If I aerate it, would the St Aug eventually overtake the Bahia? I had always thought that St Aug was a more aggressive warm-seasoned grass than other types. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Fallguy

Fallguy LawnSite Member

call your nearest Lesco dealer - they will be able to A) tell you if its a possible feat or your waisting your time or B) sell you the chemicals to treat the problem. I have alot of that nasty crap in all my yards in Louisiana- it grows in small patches mainly in sunny spots and can grow knee high in a weeks time and im sure its the driving force behind my blades getting dull too fast -i have been just dealing with it by double cutting when needed - let me know what you find out by coming back to this post-thanks.
  3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

To get rid of Bihia grass growing within St-Augustine simply spray some Atrazine on it. An added benifit is that the Atrizine will also kill any unwanted weeds growing amoung the St-Augustine.
  4. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

"Image" is supposed to work on bahia, I'm not sure if it will hurt the St. Augustine or not. I know you can use it to get rid of bahia in centipede and bermuda.
  5. Fallguy

Fallguy LawnSite Member

Atrazine i have heard is a contaminate of drinking water - be carefull where you spay it - get licensed and insured to spray - cover your ASSsets . Contact lesco they are a mountain of knowledge in controling unwanted grasses and weeds.
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

If I was dealing with an area that small, I would spray the whole area and re-sod. we're talking like 20 pieces of sod here, instant results.
  8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Your pretty lucky if thats all you have to deal with. I have entire yards and entire commercial properties covered with this stuff. I just have to deal with it.
  9. Leonard

Leonard LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Lucky....for now.

Earlier this year it was just a bare spot. After we fertilized the lawn, it blossomed into a quick-spreading patch of bahia. I need to get rid of it before it gets the upper hand on the entire lawn.

Thanks for the info, I'll post back with the results.
  10. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

How does one contact lesco?