Bahia, what's up with that grass!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you've been around for a while you've noticed that some of us guys from the South talk about Bahia and the way it grows. This really is an incredible grower. This pic is one week's growth. This pic is looking from the front yard into the back. The short grass in front is Centipede. The builders sodded the front yards of these houses with Centipede and seeded the back with Bahia. This pic was taken on September 9, 2008.

This will give you a really good idea of how this grass grows. Sorry for the slightly fuzzy pic. The auto focus looked at the closest object (the Centipede) and focused in on that.

[​IMG]

2. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Senior Member

NICE! It looks like the grass blades are pretty thick and high, along with the stems being so tall. That might take awhile to mulch, huh? Did it take you alot longer than normal to do this one? Razorblades.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Uh... You ain't mulching this. This is the way it looks all of the time, every time. I go over it twice (side discharge) and then blow off the excess.

4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Happy spreading.....

That is what we just got done with. We haven't had any rain in 4+ weeks and our Bahia has basically turned off. Just a bit of seed head production. Otherwise it is really slow right now.

Summertime sometimes takes 3 or more passes to spread out the clippings enough to make it look decent.

5. railman

railman LawnSite Member

I have a yard that is 1.5 acres that looks like that after a week. I also side discharge that yard with the chute up to spread the clippings a little better than with the chute down. what I like about those kind of grass is that they grow faster than centipede therefore more money.

6. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

I have come to hate that crap!! Its like the stems are made of kevlar! I had to remove my mulch kit out on the job and still had to double cut on a three acre commercial.

7. jwynncmi

jwynncmi LawnSite Member

Bahaia requires sharp blades and a high blade speed to cut, even then double cutting is usualy necessary.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeh, the double cut to me is a standard in my business,
    took a while to swallow that one but I always double cut
    anymore and it just saves me a slew of headaches.

Now maybe things are different in other parts of the country...
    But around here I call that stuff Highway grass :p
    Yes, it's a joke, however you want to take that lol

9. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

when i cut bahai grass that tall, i usually side discharge and i use a high lift blade at the end for better results, less clumping and i still do double cut to make the property look good. you get some of the seed heads that don't cut completely off and still have the stem sticking up..man i hate that! i have sharp blades and run a little slower and work great!

10. GriffinLawnService

GriffinLawnService LawnSite Member

I cant get that stuff to cut unless I double cut. I really hate it. Oh well it pays. That is the down fall of being in the south i guess