Bailin' Hay!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kcameron, Sep 18, 2001.

1. kcameron

kcameron LawnSite Member

Just got finished doing a job for a friend of mine today. He is getting me set up do take over his HOA common area and vacant lots though out the Assoc. Well, today I did the first house that he wanted done. It is one that has been abandoned for a while and he just wanted the grass "knocked down". I said no problem and went over there sight unseen. We had tentatively agreed on a rough figure +/- $10, depending on size and shape. The front was kinda high, but nothing too bad. But when I got to the back, well, it was like I needed a syth on a farm tractor. "Bailin' hay" is what I call it. I could only use half of my 48" deck at the time w/o stalling the mower. It only took me about 20 min or so longer to do the job. While I was back there, my friend came over to check it out, and even he was surprised to see it that tall. He said "I guess it will be more that what we had talked about, huh?" I said "Yep, it sure will" To that he replied, "Well, just send me the bill and I will get you a check." He told me not to even worry about doing too much weed eating around the edges and stuff. But I told him that I would try to make the front look good for the "curb appeal". After all, my name is still associated w/ the work. I had to leave it w/ all the grass on top, but that is what he wanted. Hopefully I will get a chance in a week or two to go back and make it better. Even though he and I are good friends, he still wants to be fair to my buisness. Those are the customers that I will take any time. Anyone else have customers like that? :D

2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i do a vacant warehouse (as needed) to just knock the growth down. hopefully it will be leased or purchased soon, so i can really make it nice looking.

i charge more for the service now than i would if it was properly maintained.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

EVERYBODY GOTTA BE SOMEWHERE. THAT SOUNDS LIKE A MESS.
    that would cost if i did it an i tellum up front.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

its got to put more wear and tear on your equipment too.