Bait and switch??????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Jan 6, 2003.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Ever hear the saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is"? Some of you might remember the great deal I got on a Snapper W/B, turns out the salesman made a "mistake" when he quoted me the price.

He had originally quoted $3945 (52", 23hp, hydro, el. start) and I gave him a downpayment of $500 last Thursday. He calls me today and says his boss called him on Saturday and told him he can't sell the mower for that price. The best price I can get now is $5000. I find it hard to believe that a salesman (who has worked there quite awhile) can be over $1000 off on a price.

Do I believe him or does this sound like bait and switch? I have emails from the salesman quoting $3945.

Do I tell the dealer I have $3945 in writing and want that price? Should I just buy the mower for $5000 or go somewhere else?

Thank you for all opinions,

Joel B.

2. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

If you have it in writing, make 'em stick to it. If they won't honor that price move on. Besides $5000.00 is too close to the price of a z, why walk when for about $1200.00 more you can ride and be alot more productive? JMHO.

3. This is not a bait and switch. That's when they offer a low price product or service to bait the customer and then switch to a different higher priced product or service.

This is a contract issue. Do you have a contract to the buy the product at that price. And even if you do all you get is your downpayment back.

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would be very nice and ask to speak with the sales manager or the owner of the dealership. Everyone makes mistakes but if you have the price in writing then that is their fault. Best of luck. I would be very concerned doing business with them as this "sounds" quite strange.

Gravely_Man

5. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Thanks for the quick replies.

lee:

I was thinking about making them honor the original price but do I really want to upset the dealer who is going to service the mower?

Where can I find a ZTR for $6200 with the same spec's (52", 23hp, hydro, el. start)?

Keep the ideas coming,

Joel B.

6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have all of this in writing, If you can show documents where the price is and your downpayment then guess what, THEY entered into a binding agreement and would have to honor the price.

If they will not then I would never buy anything from them again, nor even look at that dealer. I would send a letter to the company stating all the facts, and would probably run it by a lawyer to see what my rights are.

Make sure you let them know you will not buy anything from them, but you will now go pay full price at his competitor because of his stupidity and lack of business sense and customer service.

7. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I would tell them that you have it in writing and that they must honor it. If they will not then I would get the deposit back and walk out without even think of coming back in. It is obvios that it was a mistake, but it was there mistake and therefore they must pay for that mistake. This is my opinion.

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

that deal sounded too good to be true as you could tell from the BUY IMMEDIATELY! comments.

I think you should go down there and say that they quoted it, you agreed to do business at their price and gave the deposit to firm the deal.

and now they are welching (sp) on the deal which as cost you time and effort.

and then you ask them to honor the deal. I think they'll tell you to take a hike but you have done nothing wrong. they named their price, you gave the deposit.

what would have been cool is if you had paid for it out the door the other day!

at the difference in over $1k, the lesco 52 hydro w/KAW 19 looks good again as it can be had for under $4K.

GEO

9. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

this could get complicated, because it is arguable that this mistake should have been obvious to you since you should know the general market price of equipment. But yes you did enter into a contract to purchase this equipment.

However, I know that i would not want to upset the dealer that will be servicing the equipment i purchased.

10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that by law, if something is priced incorrectly, they must honor it for one sale at that price! After that sale, they may make a correction! If it is in writing, then too bad on them - they must sell it at the agreed upon price. Remember however, this may bite you in the ***** later if you rely on them for service. They'll probably cahrge you full boat and full shop time for every repair. You should probably deal w/ the manager or owner and meet somewhere in the middle. You'll get a good price, and they'll appreciate you not screwing them.

Bob