1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bait & Switch?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JohnnyCuts, Feb 15, 2008.

1. JohnnyCuts

JohnnyCuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

I'm planning on using a price schedule based on lot size on doorknob hangers this spring. I was thinking of putting a low price (Starting at $20!) on the front to grab attention but only offering that price for a really small lawn. The area I would be targeting wouldn't have any lots this size, and the prices for the lots in these neighborhoods would be the prices I want. For instance 0-8K lots would be $20 8-13K lots would be $28 13-18K lots would be $34, call for pricing above 18K. Then only place them on lots over 8k. What do you think? Good marketing? Ethical?
  2. amtrucker22

amtrucker22 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Me personally... I don't like it when it is done to me so I would not do it. It is part of why I do not trust almost anything I read.

Just my thoughts.
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I'll never forget the time I almost purchased a NEW ford truck....

Sitting at home watching tv this ad come out saying how much they cost and such...

It looked good But when I got down there it was NOTHING like what they said it was..

I almost cussed out the poor sales guy, I left very upset and MAD...
  4. JohnnyCuts

from iowa

Keep in mind everyone's price will be on the back side of the flyer on a price schedule. I really don't see anything decieving IF I'm willing to do the work for the price listed. I just wouldn't actively market those lots.
  5. mikeny

mikeny LawnSite Member

Might not work for everyone but this is what we do-we target neighborhoods where we already mow. All lots in those areas (subdivisions) are close in size, I send a letter outlining services and that we are currently servicing that area, the letter says most lawn in your neighbor hood in $xx for basic service and other service is available. It has worked well. BTW the price we put in the letter is accurate some choose more service like weeding, mulch, firt and such.
  6. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Seems like your only going to attract the PITA customers. Those flyers will be like PITA magnets. I would add about $7 to all three of those figures.
  7. JohnnyCuts

from iowa

Actually, I just tossed those numbers out there. I plan on doing some market research to determine a price structure. Just wanted to give an example of what I meant.
  8. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's perfectly fine, My flyers for power raking and window cleaning always have prices on them. I do get the odd pita, trying to take advantage of me but I really don't got a problem saying NO!!!

Another thing to realize is that a lot of people don't want any trouble, so if they thinks it's a NOT a fair deal they won't phone. I've seen this over and over. I get a lot more of those people then the rip off artist types.

Lots of co.s around here will give a starting price and in small letters say 0-5000sq ft. I seen them in lawns, Power raking, aeration fertilizer. Not to mention lots of co.s that are really doing well put their prices right on their web site.

Personally, my thoughts have always been that if you know the price, I will phone them before I would phone someone that will send a salesman to my door.

Take carpet cleaning. Everyone advertises their prices. Even roof top snow clearing have ads stating pricing starts at $50. Not too many people with a two story house will phone you up thinking they will get it done for $50 because the would expect an argument. You'll get the odd one though but you get them no matter what.
  9. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see a problem with it either. It is not bait and switch. You are simply saying that your prices start as low as $20, which is true. It is a generic ad not intended to be misleading. But I would in fact put in small print the lawn size for that price like bill8379 said, then there is no problem. I don't think anyone will have a problem with it. I see this all the time.
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yea It's kind of sad, we all have been screwed so much, the ole bait and switch scam, is accaptable