1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

balance after sharpening

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, Sep 16, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

for you guys that use angle grinders to sharpen your blades while they are still attached to the mower, how do you know they are balanced? do you take them off and check, or just assume that it's close enough?
  2. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

You use a balancer to tell if it is balanced or not. Now they have cheap ones and expensive ones....so whatever you can afford....you get. Click on the Magna-Matic link on this very page above all these posts (black and white). They have the best balancers of all. They also have sharpeners if you need one (I hear they are some of the best as well).
  3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Never heard of sharpening blades while they are still on the mower.

But I take them off and use an angle grinder w/sanding disk. Have never owned a balancer, and never had any vibrations or spindles go bad.---Except the one time I hit a steel rod.
  4. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Uhhh.....I'm sorry, but I didn't realize you were refering to sharpening the blades while they are still on the mower! As far as that goes, just use a little logic and you'll figure that obviously those who do this would just leave them on and assume that they are balanced because obliously they are trying to save time and because if they took them off after they sharpened them to balance them, why not just take them off first and then sharpen them and then balance them, it would be faster. But if you just sharpened them and assumed they were balanced that would be the quickest way of all.
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

These people probably have the worst set of blades possible. Apparently they need to buy a few more sets of blades. Not to mention the blades ARE NOT BALANCED, but they are destroying the spindles and putting more work on all the working parts of the mower. Everything has to work harder to compensate for the bad blades. If your part-time or full-time in this business your nuts not to have another set of blades with you at all times. You just never know when you might destroy one.

Blades are cheap looking at the entire picture. Blades are the main tool. It doesn't matter how great your mower is, the weakest or strongest link in your quality is the blades. You know a lot about a persons business and maintenance by looking at the blades. Its a Tell-Tell sign!

I've been to look at several "new, going out of business after 1 season" mowers. These people never do any maintenance. They just go mow a few yards and think they've done something. They never change oil and don't even own a grease gun. When I get there to look at this hardly been used gem, when you pull the dipstick it always has very fresh oil in it. Its been washed and cleaned. But guess what? They always forget about the main thing, and I always check it. THE BLADES! It never fails. There is not edge to the blades. They have been hitting the grass with the side of pencils. When I see this I go back to the truck and leave.
  6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Hoss, I am only speaking from my experience. I put on about 15hrs per week on my mowers and usually put on a sharp set of blades dailey and have never ounce sharpened them in over 8 years of mowing. I have yet to replace one spindle. Now maybe this is because I don't put on as many hours as some of you. As a mechanical engineer as well I totally understand the benefits to balanced rotating equipment and preventitive maintenence but I have still yet to see any reprocusions from not balancing. Maybe I am lucky in the spindle dept. too.
  7. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I put on about 15hrs per week on my mowers and usually put on a sharp set of blades dailey and have never ounce sharpened them in over 8 years of mowing.

OK, Maybe I'm just dense and don't understand what you are saying. But are you saying that you put on a new set of blades almost daily and then toss them? If that is what you mean then please start shipping them to me. I will take them off your hands.

If I dont understand then just ignor me cause I must be an idiot!

:D :cool:
  8. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

i think he meant he sharpens his blades daily but never (BALANCES?) them.
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I agree that Scott's Turf meant that he never balances the blades but does in fact sharpen them often.

If someone is going to the trouble of sharpening the blades on the mower and yes it is much harder with them on the mower then off then it is safe to assume they are not going to take them off to balance them. I have heard of this practice. This is not a good idea if you care about your equipment.
  10. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I don't throw blades away when they get dull. I meant that I sharpen them and just throw them back on without balancing them and to have yet had any problems. I shapen them with an angle grinder and it takes a couple of minutes/blade max to get a nice edge. There is not a significant amount of off balance weight to cause much vibration. If blades had most of their weight at towards the extents of rotation like car wheels for instance then a little chip off of a blade would cause more vibration. The current spindle designs have higher tolerance which help reduce unwanted movement in the bearings as well. I am not against balancing, I am sure that it prolongs spindle life but I just don't know if we can quantify that. I am on my second engine and second transmission on one of my wb and still the same spindles. The machine doesn't have an hour gage on it but the spidles must have well over 2000 hrs on them.