Balanced blades = cleaner deck?

Discussion in 'Magna-Matic' started by grassman177, May 1, 2011.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

I posted this question in another thread, but lost track of which one! haha

we have noticed not only are we getting a superb cut compared to using our old grinder, but that our decks are discharging better cuz they are not cloggin up. heck, even our blades are staying sharp much longer!

have you expereince with underside of decks staying cleaner due to correct balancing of blades?( we never balanced before using the magna matic and had a steeper cutting angle.)

2. grassman177

hello!?!?!

3. Lagniappe

Lagniappe LawnSite Member

I have noticed that our blades are staying sharper, longer, since I have had the Magna Matic. In Louisiana, we are pretty much outta the winter weeds, and most of the clover now, so my deck and been pretty clean the past couple of weeks. I have a Toro Z Master, and have nothing but good things to say about the Turbo Force Deck.

4. grassman177

me too, we have a majority almost of toro now, and they have been godsend to us.

5. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

Hello All,

We've just been super busy this spring. Blades staying sharper longer is most likely due to having the proper angle and correct tip. Often when blades are sharpened with other methods they are not done correctly, so they start out behind the game.

I'll have to double check with out our engineers about the cleaner deck result.

Thank you,

6. grassman177

please do, i am curious cuz it is what i am experiencing so far

7. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

Hello grassman,

I've discussed it with the engineers, and they cannot come up with a correlation between a cleaner deck and balanced blades.

The only thing that I can think of is perhaps if you are maintaining your blades more often now - and cleaning them for accurate balance - the blades being cleaner keep the deck cleaner by discharging rather than adhearing to the blades.

Thank you,

8. grassman177

cool, but i can attest and so can a few others i know that it has some correlation. the kubota decks that we had prior to the magna matic have not even needed scraped and normally that is something we do often......untill now!

9. CQ_DX

CQ_DX LawnSite Member
    from MA

I'd think with the blades now being properly serviced, not only are they balanced but correctly sharpened. My guess is the sharp blades are slicing the grass cuttings into smaller fragments which are more readilly ejected. If mowing with a side mounted powered blower as in ExMark et all, it would be easier to suck out smaller particles. If the blades have good lift, then the clippings are held aloft longer and get cut up more.

If you were cutting with poorly maintained blades and operated at same or near to same forward mower speed, then the less sharp blades can't discharge at the same rate as the sharp blades. You would have been taking in more grass than you could discharge as compared to sharper blades. So where does this surplus end up? Stuck to the deck, stuck to the blades, and passed out under the deck.

Dull blades not only impact the finished cut's appearance, health of the grass, amount of fuel consumed, extra wear on the machinery, operator comfort, as well as the environment.

This is a direct contributor to the excess fuel consumed (eg wasted) when using dull blades as compared to sharp. Two universities have published their findings confirming this. They also mention reduced forward speed as well.

10. grassman177

basically what i was thinking, but more explained.

whatever it is, it is worth the effort and $$