Balanced fert-free range chickens?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by lawn king, Sep 20, 2009.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Lesco will not give me a straight answer, can i apply 28 0 12 3%fe with free range chickens roaming the property?

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Lesco doesn't know chickens. Chickens are stupid birds that eat pebbles and grass for the sake of their gizzards. They good easily eat up every available granule of fertilizer they can possibly see.

Unless - it harms them significantly enough that they 'learn' to avoid it. However their memory is good for only 25 seconds, so I wouldn't bet the income on it.

Chickens make great fertilizer anyways.

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Chickens do a good job of fertilization, dethatching and pest control. :)

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

There is no definitive information on the msds or label.

5. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I fert a rather large lawn that's home to free range chickens. The reason they called me is they didn't want what their former LCO's fert choices to hurt the birds. While I don't *think* the 28-0-12 will hurt them, the customer wanted an organic fert because they eat the eggs and birds. I use a 9-0-4 custom fert made of soy and alfalfa meal there. Yes, the chickens may eat some of the fert, but I guess their free range is moving the pen every few days or so. If you have an organic fertilizer option, I think that would be a better choice.