1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by causalitist, Mar 18, 2007.

1. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

i want to start balancing my blades to save spindle wear
    i bought one of those $5 plastic balancers from the hardwear store..
    its not easy to use, and i dont much trust it.
    it has to be on a completely level surface.

ive seen the wall mount ones for sale.. do they actually mount to the wall so that the blade is put on it perpendicular to the ground? thats what it looks like.
    example: http://www.powerequipmentwarehouse.com/bladebalancer-p-16477.html

has anyone used both the cheap ones and a decent one like this? would one like the one above be alot easier to read/use than a cheap plastic one, or is it the same pretty much but just higher quality?

also, do these wall mount ones need to be on a completely level surface? how does that work if its wall mount?
  2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one of the good ones, a Magnamatic, that I paid $150 for. The difference between it and one of the plastic or pot metal ones is the difference between night and day. The Magnamatic is extremely accurate.
    I check new blades before mounting and almost always have to shave a few thousands off one side to bring it into balance before using.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I never paid any attention to blancing blades in over 25 years and never had a spindle problem. But we use Scag and Snapper mowers. But I guess it is one of those nice things to do if you got time, same as using a special bench grinding tool to sharpen blades.
  4. causalitist

ed2hess - huh... wow. you would think it would matter, but im fine with not having to worry about it on my snapper 48". thanks.

mowerman90- is that Magnamatic a wall mount one? does it have to be mounted level ?
    when you put the blade on it is the blade perpendicular to the ground? i.e the opposite position of the $5 balancers?

c'mon, learn me up some knowledge!:walking: hahahaa
  5. Brett's Cutting Edge

Brett's Cutting Edge LawnSite Member
    from novi

I have the metal balencer and they just have to be close to in balence. it only really matters if it is majorly off balance but if you are good it can be almost dead on. I use a 7'' grinder and they have always been level on my balencer and the same on the "good one" at the local mower shop.
  6. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Causalitist, the Magna Matic is a wall mounted unit. I can't remember if the instructions called for it to be level or not. I shimmed it and made sure it was. The good balancers are kind of expensive. I have never had a perfectly balanced blade "out of the box"! If you can afford one, it is a great expense. However, a nail in the wall will also tell you which side of the blade is heavier.
  7. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a nail in the wall or a screw driver.
  8. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Heck of a lot cheaper that way!
  9. causalitist

Sammy, cward:
    u guys just set it up horizontal and see which side falls? or spin it?

where does the screwdriver come in?

im liking this method already :)
  10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We have never balanced a blade on our TANKS and no problems with the spindles.