Balancing trailer tires...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by topsites, Jul 13, 2008.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I know it may sound insane but just yesterday I realized my trailer tires are not balanced, they never were, they never are... And I got to thinking, wouldn't it be better for the trailer's rideability and the tire wear if they were balanced?

I don't know, I suppose there is that reason why nobody ever balances them, but has anyone ever done so, or why are they not balanced and any other input on this would be appreciated.

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Mine are balanced when I get new ones installed(or I feel like its needed). Last time I had tires put on it without balance the trailor shook/bounced so badly it was not usuable. I took the tires back off and balanced them, rode nice and smooth after that.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm...
    I would have thought mine were too, since I let the guys at the trailer shop put them on this isn't something I had ever bothered checking... And maybe I am wrong but I didn't see any weights on either the outside or the inside of the rim, and I just find it hard to believe that without weights it would be balanced, hence why I posted about it.

Now it could be the weights fell off, not saying it's their fault per se but I looked at both rims inside and out and unless I didn't see something there were no weights whatsoever (not the stick-on nor the other kind). And I did say they were never balanced because I found it difficult to think they were when there wasn't even a one weight, but then again maybe it did fall off, or maybe I didn't see it, who knows...?

I can't say the trailer is hard to drive, matter of fact I don't think it has ever acted silly but I'm going to pull the wheels off and balance them, believe it or not it's poor fuel economy that got me into checking this but thanks for the advice.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Never seen a trailer tire that was balanced here. No need really. And if your "unbalanced" wheels are causing the trailer to shake, so much that you can feel it in the truck, I'm betting there's some larger issues there.

Now, if I was pulling a trailer at highway speeds (55 to 80 mph) for long distances maybe having them balanced would help. Help what I'm not sure.

5. Green' Go

Green' Go LawnSite Member

Never seen balanced trailer tires either. Never had an issue. Not that it cant happen, I just never had an issue with it.

6. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I have never balanced my trailer tires but when i got my new trailer they where balanced.

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I have balanced some in the past, but I can't tell much difference. I usually balance my own anyway...by adding a new plug every week :rolleyes:

8. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

same here. never seen a trailer tire balanced. dont think it would help much as much as a trailer load changes.

this brings up another question though, i had a tire replaced on a z the other day and they didnt balance it. would it help at all? LOL

9. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

My tire guy has never balanced my trailer tires. They only last six months anyway, so it's not like they're going to have funny wear issues before I have to replace them.

Maybe a 5th wheel travel trailer would benefit from balancing? Mostly highway use and highway speeds might make a difference? Maybe keep the stuff in the trailer from rattling around too much?

10. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I got new tires put on my trailer today and noticed they were balanced.